A wood built itx case.

thehack

Limp Gawd
AMD 7860K. 8GB RAM. 250GB SSD. Silverstone AR05. 150W external AC adapter.

Edit* more info:

This was my first wood project. There were quite a lot of challenges when working with wood in an apartment sized room, since I was limited to small power tools. I felt like the product was acceptable. It couldve been better as any wood worker would let you know, but it was a bit of learning experience. In the end, I liked it and it turned out pretty well. If you have questions about making your own let me know!

ncRYtAs.jpg

JGt4O7C.jpg

Last edited:
100% FDA Certified Organic and shade grown? And when you are done, you can compost it!

Jokes aside this is pretty cool. Is there anything dangerous about putting a PC in a wood enclosure though, e.g. fire dangers or anything like that? Does the wood need to be treated in a certain way or anything?

A PC, let alone the air inside a PC case can't nearly get hot enough for the wood to start burning. Hotspots in a PC are a maximum of 90°C, wood won't combust below 200°C, IIRC.

100% FDA Certified Organic and shade grown? And when you are done, you can compost it!

Jokes aside this is pretty cool. Is there anything dangerous about putting a PC in a wood enclosure though, e.g. fire dangers or anything like that? Does the wood need to be treated in a certain way or anything?

Not any more dangerous than a regular case. The risk of a fire is a bit higher, that is if you have an electrical short, it can cause a fire. But generally wood is harder to ignite than you think (try lighting it with a lighter, see how far you get!). I've read that there may be issues with static electricity but I don't think it'd be a problem since this doesn't use much more than 100W. Time will tell.

What did you use to make the fan grille / vent? I see it's several small pieces. Jigsaw? All off one big block, or...?

I used 1/4 square poles (dowels?). I laid them out in those stagger positions with gaps between them. I glued them together. Then I used a circular saw to cut them to dimensions.

That's a cool wooden case and at a fraction of the cost! Great build, I may do the something like that for my HTPC on my bookshelf.

Back