a simple wired internet connection

artistream

n00b
these things are the bane of my existence. all i want to do is plug the ethernet cable into my pc and be able to connect to the internet. not the case. what am i doing wrong? im pretty sure its not a hardware issue because its been like this for every pc ive ever had. i love computers, but why do they hate me so? a step by step for creating a wired internet connection please? thanks

In your case, if you're plugging the modem straight into your computer, the ISP normally doesn't allow more than one external IP address, so you'll have to restart the modem, as it saves the MAC address to the external IP, and if you change comptuers, the MAC address of the connected pc (obviously) changes. All in all, try restarting the modem every time you change computers...

oh yeah, i forgot all that info stuff. im using cable with the modem plugged into the router, then into my pc. the router is a linksys wrt300n. there are a total of 4 pc's in the house and one of them is a mac.but even if i plug the modem straight into the pc i get squat. i know theres a simple solution to this, but its one of those things that for some reason my brain doesnt want to comprehend. i know im no genius, but i figured i could at elast do this. thanks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124068&Tpk=linksys wrt300n

Is this a new comcast service? If so, they need to provision the cable modem on their network. If you can't connect with just your pc to the cable modem, after power-cycling the modem, then call your ISP.

i have all the hardware needed, thats not the issue. i mean, i understand how a connection works, i just cant ever do it myself. BUT! good news, i just figured it out yesterday. for some reason when i would try and figure out the connections and whatnot, i couldnt see the onboard etherned port. i tried buying a network card and when i was installing it, the onboard card ethernet card shows up and, guess what, its not configured. so i installed the new card and viola! internet. thanks for your help guys, sometimes im just a little slow

Back