• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A silly question about the XP120 cooler...

ozziegn

The man behind the curtain...
Joined
Jan 13, 2001
Messages
17,533
okay, here's the deal.

I just installed an XP120 on my Intel 660 chip which is mounted on an Asus P5WD2 mobo. the only problem I had is that I had to mount the cooler upside down because the mobo's chipset cooler wouldnt allow me to mount it rightside up.

so, I mount everything and I get her up and running. but to my surprise, my chip idles at like 49C and can easily peg 63 to 66C under full load which has to be nearing that "you better shut her down" range.

so my question is: do you guys (and gals) think that me mounting my XP120 upside down has killed its great cooling ability because of the heatpipes having to work against gravity?

^ I'm asking this because I've had other LGA775 chips in the past and none of them have ever hit these kinds of load temps like my current chip is doing.

please discuss...
 
Dumb question, but I gotta ask it: By "upside down" you mean heatpipes on the other side of the chip, not FINS DOWN, right?

(I really can't imagine how you could do that anyway, but I've seen some amazing things)
 
LOL... ^^^^^^^^^^^^ you asked the same thing I was thinking.....Oz, you gotta clarify this because the way your thread is worded now it makes no sense. Upside down is just what it states...fins down <<< ridiculous of course. The Thermalrights can be reversed, meaning turned around. In the case of my XP-90 it was cool the mosfets and not the ram (heatpipes left, heatpipes right)
 
just like I said. the cooler is mounted upside down.

in other words, the tips of the heatpipes are pointing down instead of pointing up like they would normally be.
 
shouldnt be such a problem, you sure you put enough therm paste on proc and some on cooler? sure its making great contact?

and heatpipes dont work by gravity.......they take heat and basicly like it says, pipes them to the fins, fan blows on the fins or blows away from fins.......

speaking of which.........which way is your fan runing? blowing towards the proc or away from it? sometimes that is a good 3-10 deg diffrence.........try it

and how are you monitering temps? just like volts on PSU, its better to have hardware than software.......

soulsaver_8229
 
actually i think heat travels up if im not mistaken, mounting ur hs upsidedown could make it not as effective
 
Heat travels from hot to cold, not necessarily up. Regardless of the orientation, the heat pipes should be doing their job. If the mounting direction of the pipes were to make a difference, it would be 1-2 degress at the max.

Make sure you have not applied too much thermal paste and you are getting solid contact between the base of the HS and the IHS on the processor.

Also, what fan are you using?
 
Yeah, I wouldn't worry much about the orientation if you can only fit it one way... I'm guessing it's the fan that is causing your temp issues. Also, for a prescott core, 66c doesn't seem to be "you better shut down" range... On stock cooling they can easily hit 70c in a room that has 80f ambient temps.
 
I just purchased an XP-120 and was wondering, how far out of the top of the board does the HS extend? The board would be an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe...Anyone know? Becuase my PSU is above it, about 2 inches...I think thatll be enough room to fit. But I was wondering if anyone had the HS and board first hand and was able to know.
 
DangerIsGo said:
I just purchased an XP-120 and was wondering, how far out of the top of the board does the HS extend? The board would be an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe...Anyone know? Becuase my PSU is above it, about 2 inches...I think thatll be enough room to fit. But I was wondering if anyone had the HS and board first hand and was able to know.
Yea, I have that setup. If you are using the stock back plate (metal plate on back of m/b), then your bolts are vertically oriented and the XP120 will install with the heatpipes oriented horizonatally, or left to right. Sorry, I don't have a camera yet, no pics. You'll find that the XP120 will only go 1 way, with the ends of the heatpipes extending over the memory. It does not come up to the top of the m/b. Still, a tight fit but works ok.
 
Slippery said:
Yea, I have that setup. If you are using the stock back plate (metal plate on back of m/b), then your bolts are vertically oriented and the XP120 will install with the heatpipes oriented horizonatally, or left to right. Sorry, I don't have a camera yet, no pics. You'll find that the XP120 will only go 1 way, with the ends of the heatpipes extending over the memory. It does not come up to the top of the m/b. Still, a tight fit but works ok.
Thanks I just checked my case and I have more room above the board below the PSU than I originally thought (my comps at school while I was at home this weekend). I have a lot more room than originally thought...I just hope my 7800GTX fits... :confused:
 
I've mounted my XP-90c three times, heatpipes facing memory and heatpipes facign mosfets it's 1-2c cooler when the fins are over the mosfets for some reason.. Anyways according to the evga bios I idle at 46c and get a load temp of 61c. There is a chance the evga bios temps are 10c off but so far I haven't really been overly impressed with this HS.
 
Back
Top