A Real semi-decent PHENOM2 review..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think PII is a perfectly reasonable name to call Phenom 2. The problem lies in the fact it's already taken :eek:

Pentium 2's may be 10 years old but the pentium name and its P<INSERT_SOMETHING> abbreviations are pretty fresh in most of our minds still.

I think PII is a perfectly reasonable name to call Phenom 2. The problem lies in the fact it's already taken :eek:

Pentium 2's may be 10 years old but the pentium name and its P<INSERT_SOMETHING> abbreviations are pretty fresh in most of our minds still.

Right, from "Pentium" through "Pentium 4" we've always called them P1, P2, P3, P4, etc. Usually they are written as PII, PIII, and P4.

I don't think they ever trade marked it, but the standard abreviation for it back in the day was PII. The correct spelling of the processor's name was "Pentium II." It wasn't until the Pentium 4 came around that the Roman Numerals were dropped in favor of standard alpha numeric numbering.

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=P2
http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=PII

Can we end this stupid "what CPU deserves this abreviation" discussion now? It is not even a trademark nor it will be.

Nice review although hard to read. Looks like AMD may be back in the value/performance market if these type of numbers hold up. This is the third such review that I have read that shows the Phenom II hanging in there with the pricier QXXXXs and the i7 in the gaming benchmarks

I need real hardware specs & prices. And speculation on when the price will drop to the $200 range.:D

I am about to retire my last 754 system (which my kids play Morrowind on), merge my WHS and my HTPC Server and turn the existing HTPC Server into a gaming machine. These two systems have X2 3800 procs and I am informed that the X2 3800 won't do games (not that I really do them anyway). I want to retire the X2 procs and shift my existing Phenom I 9600 into them, but I need to replace the procs in my servers to do that. This close to Christmas I don't have $300 x 2 to do that.

I'm just a bit antsy here.

Nice review although hard to read. Looks like AMD may be back in the value/performance market if these type of numbers hold up. This is the third such review that I have read that shows the Phenom II hanging in there with the pricier QXXXXs and the i7 in the gaming benchmarks
I found this in relation(courtesy of PetNorth from Xtremesystems.org) regarding the review in question.

And I will go as far as saying(with great disappointment) that I am not at all impressed. :(

c2q.9550_p2.940.jpg

these guys cpu did better than mine clock for clock. Interesting, i will try playing around a bit more

Apart from Fritz and Cinebench x32, the differences are negligible, unless you play games at 1280x1024.

lol, translation: "apart from all of the blowouts for the intel processor" (of which, there are quite a few), the differences are negligible

the Ph2 actually has very, very favorable circumstances on that table too, with the 200mhz clock speed advantage (and if its one thing the q9xxx's will do better than the Ph2, its clock higher)

I see the 64bit version seems to close the gap to below 1% with cinebench, was this the same with Phenom X4s or just new with Ph^2 :p

I see the 64bit version seems to close the gap to below 1% with cinebench, was this the same with Phenom X4s or just new with Ph^2 :p

Good point.
Perhaps running the chip under 64bit OS would even the score.
I know this was the case with my Opteron 165's.

Hi there.

I would like ton inform you that the review updated yesterday with X264 HD benchmark.

although,later today maybe there ll be an addition of 3 games.
GTAIV,UT3,ETQW.

The next few days there ll be a clock to clock comparison.

deneb vs kentsfield vs yorkfield vs bloomfield @ 3700mhz

and

deneb vs agena(9950BE) @ 3.0 or 3.1

Weird how the FPS stays steady regardless of res.

GPU dependent as the res goes up. To comment on the i7 platform's price difference, it might be interesting to see what influence the introduction of the AM3 Phenom II's (that support DDR3) will have on the price of DDR3. I'd auger it's the death-knoll for DDR2. The Phenom II *might* be the platform of choice for those with limited budgets, if early whispers have much basis in real world results... which you could read as maintaining the status quo from the last few months. Lastly, PII is obviously Pentium II, I'm sure after release there will be any number of derogatory acronyms available for those too lazy to type the six F*ing letters in PHENOM.

Is there any Black Edition PII? If the P2 is competitive against Penryn clock for clock, the unlock multiplier would make the PII a viable choice. I wish that there are more P2 reviews.

I found this in relation(courtesy of PetNorth from Xtremesystems.org) regarding the review in question.

And I will go as far as saying(with great disappointment) that I am not at all impressed. :(

c2q.9550_p2.940.jpg

The boutique builders are advertising Phenom II 940 systems for a 90 dollar premium over Phenom 9950 BE systems. That is with all other components being exactly the same. So that would put the Phenom 940 processor at around $275.00 versus $309.00 for the Q9550. That is enough of a price difference to upgrade the video card one step which is going to have more effect on FPS in games than the difference in CPUs. That is why AMD MAY be competitive again in the value/performance segment. There is no question that Intel owns the high performance market but if AMD can match them in the dollar for dollar performance market in the segment where most PC users and gamers buy computers then they will have taken a significant step forward. Number chasing is great for overclockers and benchmark junkies but in real world usage you would be hard pressed to see much difference between computers using these two processors.

The boutique builders are advertising Phenom II 940 systems for a 90 dollar premium over Phenom 9950 BE systems. That is with all other components being exactly the same. So that would put the Phenom 940 processor at around $275.00 versus $309.00 for the Q9550. That is enough of a price difference to upgrade the video card one step which is going to have more effect on FPS in games than the difference in CPUs. That is why AMD MAY be competitive again in the value/performance segment. There is no question that Intel owns the high performance market but if AMD can match them in the dollar for dollar performance market in the segment where most PC users and gamers buy computers then they will have taken a significant step forward. Number chasing is great for overclockers and benchmark junkies but in real world usage you would be hard pressed to see much difference between computers using these two processors.

There is more than price invovled in value to.
Platform stability/bugs is just as important.

True. However, even though I do not currently have an AMD system in use, I have built many AMD systems over the years for both myself and customers and I have never had any more problems with an AMD than I have had with an Intel.

Is there any Black Edition PII? If the P2 is competitive against Penryn clock for clock, the unlock multiplier would make the PII a viable choice. I wish that there are more P2 reviews.

Just to clarify, its called the Phenom! Not the P2 or PII, those are all about the pentiums baby! I may be younger and have only 12 years under the hood of PC's but P2/PII still screams Intel to me.

^Classic :D Was thinking the same thing.

Anybody is getting the PII when it comes out? If I have the money, I would get a P2 just to play around. Playing around with PII and DDR 2 would be cheaper than DDR3 on the i7. If the P2 is better than my Q6600, it could be an upgrade option for me. The PII mobos look nice especially the new ones with SB750. I would wait until more people get their hand on the P2 first.

Anybody is getting the PII when it comes out? If I have the money, I would get a P2 just to play around. Playing around with PII and DDR 2 would be cheaper than DDR3 on the i7. If the P2 is better than my Q6600, it could be an upgrade option for me. The PII mobos look nice especially the new ones with SB750. I would wait until more people get their hand on the P2 first.

The P2 requires a Slot 1 or Socket 8 compatible motherboard. So the sb750 is not compatible. You would need a Socket AM2/AM2+ Phenom to take advantage of that chipset. Also there is no way a P2/PII that came out on May 7th 1997 is better than your Q6600.

Furthermore, seriously? :rolleyes: Are you not reading this thread?

True. However, even though I do not currently have an AMD system in use, I have built many AMD systems over the years for both myself and customers and I have never had any more problems with an AMD than I have had with an Intel.

LOL, you are never going to "win" against a troll, even telling them that you are currently running intels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Their purpose is not to have a debate, but to obtain a feeling of satisfaction from another's discomfort. It is just "bullying" behavior brought to the internet. The more you "argue", the better they feel. It turns out that just setting an ignore on all these guys takes them out of the picture and we can enjoy a peaceful discussion.

"Ignore"... highly recommended.

It's no secret that Intel chipsets for years have been untouchable when it comes to stability.

I own nothing but AMD systems, and have since the early days of AMD. It was true, long ago, that the other chipset builders had issues. However I haven't had a stability issues for years. Intel "stability" is an urban legend, and like all urban legends, have their source in a truth sometime in the distant past.

Would the AM2+ PII be compatible with AM3 mobos or just AM3 P2 is compatible with AM2+ mobos and AM3 mobos? If the AM2+ PII is also compatible with AM3 mobos, I see a clear upgrade path for me: P2 & AM2+ mobo -> PII & AM3 mobo -> a faster AM3 CPU & AM3 mobo. If not I think that it is better to wait for the AM3 P2. I heard that there will be no Black Edition AM3 PII, is that true?

Just to clarify, the older CPU is called Pentium II. PII or P2 is not a trademark owned by Intel. I'll use P2 or PII whenever I want, it is up to you to think yourself whether I'm refering to Pentium II or Phenom II. I'm sure that people are smart enough to understand which CPU I'm talking about. If you have a problem with that, get a lawyer and sue me. ;)

AM2+ is not forward compatable and will not fit in an
AM3 socket...

AM2+ has 940 pins and AM3 has 938 pins... On an AM3
socket the holes are blocked where the 2 extra pins of the
AM2+ would go...

As far as PII is concerned, people need to get over it... It's
no different than nVIDIA selling 9800 series and I can tell
the difference when someone is talking about an nVIDIA
9800 or a Radeon 9800... Much more important things to
be concerned about than stupid abbreviations... :rolleyes:

Lets think, this is a computer hardware site right? That has been around since 1998, at that time there was without a doubt that P2 was an abbreviation to Pentium 2. Even when I first joined in 2000 it hadn't changed. Even if you go to wikipedia and search for P2 or PII it knows you are looking for Pentium 2 info. So here we are ten years later and you decide that you want to jack an abbreviation for a well known CPU. For the love of all things that are [H] there has to be a better abreiviation for the new Phenom than one from a decade ago. Even Ph2 is somewhat better. This situation is a bit different than the Radeon 9800pro or nVidia 9800GTX/GT. The reason you can tell the difference is that people don't usually just say "hey I have a 9800 why isn't blah, blah, blah working" They actually elude to the hardware they have from little tipoffs like "hey I have a 9800GTX and my screen is blank..." or "my 9800pro took a dump while maxing out the settings in GTA:VC". See where I and many others are getting at? With P2/PII there is no clue to wether or not you are eluding to the original or the upcomming chip. Even if it is ten years old its still relevant.

Lets think, this is a computer hardware site right? That has been around since 1998, at that time there was without a doubt that P2 was an abbreviation to Pentium 2. Even when I first joined in 2000 it hadn't changed. Even if you go to wikipedia and search for P2 or PII it knows you are looking for Pentium 2 info. So here we are ten years later and you decide that you want to jack an abbreviation for a well known CPU. For the love of all things that are [H] there has to be a better abreiviation for the new Phenom than one from a decade ago. Even Ph2 is somewhat better. This situation is a bit different than the Radeon 9800pro or nVidia 9800GTX/GT. The reason you can tell the difference is that people don't usually just say "hey I have a 9800 why isn't blah, blah, blah working" They actually elude to the hardware they have from little tipoffs like "hey I have a 9800GTX and my screen is blank..." or "my 9800pro took a dump while maxing out the settings in GTA:VC". See where I and many others are getting at? With P2/PII there is no clue to wether or not you are eluding to the original or the upcomming chip. Even if it is ten years old its still relevant.

Those who can't tell if it's being Pentium or Phenom that's being discussed have to be seriously (and I mean SERIOUSLY!) retarded. If the Pentium 2 was 2-3 years old, it would look a bit different... but it's 12 years old. What if Intel sould name their next gen chips i7 286, 386 and 486 - would that be like OMGOMG !11!!!11!!!ONEONE I CANT TELL THE DIFFERENCE OMG -.-' ffs that $uxx$ ?

I'll keep calling this chip PII, and it seems alot of others do the same. If you want to discuss Pentium CPUs, there's a forum here for that kind of stuff - it's called "INTEL PROCESSORS".

I have no reason to go over to the Intel forum right now, the only Intel chip I own is a P3 Tualatin 1.14ghz(thats a Pentium 3 not Phenom 3 for the numbskulls), stuck in some cigar box in my closet somewhere. I'm interested in finding out more info on the Phenom 2's, and really want to see if someone can come up with a proper abbreviation for this new chip.

lol, translation: "apart from all of the blowouts for the intel processor" (of which, there are quite a few), the differences are negligible

Uh, no, Intel wins at Cinebench x32 and Fritz, AMD wins at winRAR and wPrime, everything else I seriously doubt anyone would notice any difference whatsoever.

I am, should be a nice upgrade over my X2 at 3.1 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back