• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A quieter PC for $3.47

dolphumous

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
2,138
1: Go to JoAnn Fabrics and pic up atleast two of these 2mm foam sheets and double sided foamie tape.
Sheets are $.99 each and I think the tape was $1.49.
Sheets also come in a variety of colors...I just wanted straight black.



2: Use sheets of paper to make templates where you want the foam.
(Didn't take a picture of sheets of paper)

3: Cut to size and apply with Foamies double sticky tape.



4: Be happy you didn't spend $15 on the Spire mats or upwards of $70 on some of the other kits.
 
At the Wal-Mart by my house, they have the same stuff with adhesive backing for $0.99, I have used it for quieting drives but never a whole case :D
 
Nice work. Someone needs to compile a list of the "the cheap way to mod a case" using retail stores that are common. IE Autozone, Wal-mart, Craft stores like Jo-Ann or Michaels, Advance Auto, O'Reilly Auto, Target... places like that.

I think for the budget modder, that would be extremely useful.
 
well done. how much did it drop your noise levels? Were you able to hear a big difference?
 
haven't seen much stuff like this on these forums-it seems everybody here doesn't care how loud their boxes are nowadays :)

/uncalled for opinions
but seriously-foam applications like these or even the more expensive ones do not do so much for overall decibel levels as they do for the range of frequencies escaping a system. Closed and open cell foam coupled with mass addition(bitumen or tar like substances work wonders if one can stand never removing them or a slight smell) just prevent the higher frequency(for foam) noises from reaching you ears and te case from reverberating(mass addition). The change in noise comes from the qulity and quantity most often although you may experience 1-2 dbl drops overall.

I'm not anywhere near an expert so you may want to look at Silentpcreview.com where there are people dedicated to sound/performance issues.
/uncalled for opinions

back on topic-you work look nice and clean from the pics-good job
now its time to suspend those hdd and do some ducting
 
When my chipset fan spins up all the way it doesn't sound as high pitched.

It doesn't really make it quieter but it made it not annoying.
 
dtess17 said:
well done. how much did it drop your noise levels? Were you able to hear a big difference?


i got mine at walmat, and before i took a sawsall to my side panel, i had covered both sides and the bottem, and visable parts of the mobo tray and it really droped the noise, the window lets more noise out but *shrug*, the added effect is the blacked out look my case now has
 
Go figure, when I'm reading about the dollar beer post, a red stripe commercial comes on and the one line that will be stuck in my head for a while is... "Hooray Beer!"

The commercial's great. The beer tastes good. But forget the next morning. Everyone I know that's had the stuff has massive flatulation the next day.
 
Some good sources for case mod materials:
- Foam sponges from any general store.
- Foam mat material in the fabric section at Walmart.
- Foam weather seal materials at any hardware store.
- Elastic cord in women's hair section at drug stores.
- Low-restriction pleated furnace filter media at any hardware store.

You may get some funny looks when you're hanging out in the women'shair supplies section at the drug store, fondling latex hair bands for suspending hard drives, but that's the price you pay for your affliction!

Hope this helps!
 
There's more.

Rubber bnads: Everywhere, free
Stretchmagic: about 3 bucks. It's great for suspending hard drives (no vibrations)
Chair cushions: Great for silencing.
Duct tape.
 
I got a 12 pack of mini bungee cords at Home Depot. They come in a loop with a blue ball thingie that slides up and down to tighten the loop. Works great for suspending a drive.
 
This is great, I've been looking recently for a cheap souce for closed cell foam sheets!
 
Max Power said:
Wouldn't this make it harder for heat to escape, thus cooling the comp worse?
If your temps are dependent upon heat that transfers through the walls of the case then they aren't very good even now.

I just picked up a pack of 4 16x16x1" sheets of foam from Walmart for about $7.

Does JoAnn's carry any foam that's around 1" thick? On the website the thickest I see is 3mm.
 
This actually looks rather interesting, but I bet that foam would be a b*tch to clean :(
 
ya i did this bout a year ago in my old case. It's really hard to get out but it does work, and i didn't see any increase in temperature. The adhesive is suprisingly strong.
 
My temps haven't increased at all.

I'll find out how it is to clean on my case accumulates some dust.

They had 2mm and 3mm sheets like I bought. Then they had super think stuff. Harder rigid foam.
 
Wow, the stuff I was talking about is like 1/8th of an inch thick. I am not sure adding thickness will add much dampening...
 
synaps3 said:
Wow, the stuff I was talking about is like 1/8th of an inch thick. I am not sure adding thickness will add much dampening...
I'll stop by JoAnn's tomorrow and pick some up then compare it to the 1" thick stuff I bought at Walmart today. I hope the thin stuff is as good as the thick because it's going to take a lot more cutting to make this thick foam fit in the case.
 
thewhiteguy said:
I'll stop by JoAnn's tomorrow and pick some up then compare it to the 1" thick stuff I bought at Walmart today. I hope the thin stuff is as good as the thick because it's going to take a lot more cutting to make this thick foam fit in the case.
I bought the thin stuff at Wal-Mart...
 
synaps3 said:
I bought the thin stuff at Wal-Mart...
My Walmart didn't have anything other than 1" and 2" thick to choose from :(

Before I drive upto JoAnns I'm going to stop by Michael's.
 
I've also used linoleum tiles, the heavy industrial flooring type, and rhino lining... both of those work as well. Never know what you'll find in a dumpster...
 
I saw the 3mm foam at JoAnn's this morning and was not impressed by it, plus enough to do my Stacker would be pretty expensive. Instead I bought 2.111 years of this 1/2" thick and 2 feet wide greenish foam for $13.
 
MD_Willington said:
I've also used linoleum tiles, the heavy industrial flooring type, and rhino lining... both of those work as well. Never know what you'll find in a dumpster...
You rhino-lined the inside of a case? lol
 
Back
Top