A quick question concerning core temps

Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Messages
38
Is there a way to program my machine to shutdown, or go into low power mode, if core temps exceed a certain value?

For instance, a command parameter that would set my computer into standby if core temps went higher than (insert value here).

I'm asking this because I often run multiple iterations of GIMPS software and F@H at the same time and as such my cores are at full load. (kentsfield q6600 G0 stepping). I've got a reliable CPU fan (Kama Cross Scythe, Arctic Silver) and a reliable set of case fans (Antec 900) but still, I don't want to burn out my cpu.

Any ideas? Just wondering.
 
Most mid-price and up MOBOs have a setting in the BIOS for that. You may want to consider upgrading your MOBO.
 
Yeah, just go into BIOS and make sure EIST (if your mobo has it) is enabled (enables variable core voltage per cpu usage and temp, I believe?) and if you have a Intel C2D (I think most modern cpu have this) it will shut itself down before any damage to the cpu from overtemps. ;)

 
Back
Top