A quick mouse thread...

Koko56

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've been looking for a mouse. Just something fairly straight-forward and functional.

I've bought the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 - I got it and straight away the RMB was pressing too lightly, I sent it back - got a refund. Now I got the MX518 and here the LMB is harder to press than the RMB and actually takes an amount of effort that I feel almost certainly, over time would cause strain.

What the hell? Why is there irregularity like this between the main MBs? or did I just get unlucky twice? :(

Haha, I've still got an old Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 laying around. I've seen irregularities myself and it's annoying. Using a MS Habu right now and the buttons are spot on, although the mouse is a little heavier than I like.

get a Logitech g5. you can adjust the weight on them and they have great response time. i used mine for about a year and now ive switched to a razer death adder which to be honest i like it a lot better. the buttons are a lot easier to click and i like how it feels in my hand.

I'm using a G500 and a DeathAdder side by side right now. I used the MX518 and a G5 side by side at my last job. The DeathAdder has the best fit for me. I just don't like the scroll wheel and the profile button. The wheel seems to bind a little bit when i hold the right mouse button down. So far, i'm loving the G500 scroll wheel and button feel. It also uses Setpoint 5 which is pretty much the best version. I'm not really liking the 3rd side button though, its too easy to press another button accidentally (i'm used to the huge side buttons on the DA) If only i possessed the skills to gut my DeathAdder and put the G500 inside it.

I would also recommend the G5, served me well for around 6 years.
I have the g9 now, but would not describe it as fairly straight-forward and functional. Probably more than you want to spend.

You cannot go wrong with the G5, although it sounds like the death adder might be a good choice (although I have never used one.)
Although the the g5 is maybe $20-25 and the deathadder $40-50 (from what I could see.)

I'm using a G500 and a DeathAdder side by side right now. I used the MX518 and a G5 side by side at my last job. The DeathAdder has the best fit for me. I just don't like the scroll wheel and the profile button. The wheel seems to bind a little bit when i hold the right mouse button down. So far, i'm loving the G500 scroll wheel and button feel. It also uses Setpoint 5 which is pretty much the best version. I'm not really liking the 3rd side button though, its too easy to press another button accidentally (i'm used to the huge side buttons on the DA) If only i possessed the skills to gut my DeathAdder and put the G500 inside it.
What's wrong with the Deathader's insides?

Thanks for the replies. I ahve the Copperhead and it is great, but it not too good for desktop use, or say BF2 for me.

I've tried amny mice in the shops and did nit really like too many of them. The 518 seems alright, but I might just have to send it back because of the LMB. TBH the best combo I've had was a £1 mouse mat and a ball mouse as well as later an Intellimouse Optical - the main problem was that my hand would get tight quite quickly and I think it is permanetly tighter now. So all I'm looking for really is a comfortable mouse which could be used for BF2/Desktop use.

UPDATE: Well, the 518 is going back as my hand got tight - the LMB was one of the main culprits.

Back to using the Copperhead- might just have to get another one, not having 4-5 months of RMAing again. :p

I just picked up a DA and find it to be quite comfortable and very accurate. My main gripe so far is the high lift off distance.

Cant go wrong with the logitech G5
Well, the G5 is quite similar in shape to the MX518 - identical dare I say?

BUt as isaid I tried the G5 and amny other mice in shops and none were quite what I had in mind.
I just picked up a DA and find it to be quite comfortable and very accurate. My main gripe so far is the high lift off distance.

Yeah I tried that and it also did not suit me...

BTW - do any of you get tight hands after mousing for a while? Especially if it's on a cloth mouse mat?

I dont. G5 I like because its shaped well to fit my hand and you can add the weights to make it feel confortable as you move it.

BTW - do any of you get tight hands after mousing for a while? Especially if it's on a cloth mouse mat?

Not really but I know what you mean. If I use a keyboard other than my Natural Ergo 4000 my hand starts to hurt a bit.

You may want to give the Ikari a shot. It takes a bit to get accustomed to the odd shape but once you do it's very comfortable.

If you do, it certainly can't hurt to do some hand/wrist stretches every 15 to 30 minutes. Your hands will feel better and it could prevent a chronic condition in the long term.

I dont. G5 I like because its shaped well to fit my hand and you can add the weights to make it feel confortable as you move it.
If it was bigger, then it might have been quite good for me. It's not big enough for me to crip with my whole hand without thinking about it.
Not really but I know what you mean. If I use a keyboard other than my Natural Ergo 4000 my hand starts to hurt a bit.

You may want to give the Ikari a shot. It takes a bit to get accustomed to the odd shape but once you do it's very comfortable.
Yeah it is among the ones I liked, though the right hand side "rest" or whatever you might call it is a bit smal lfor me as well. Though I don't think I will ever use ergonomic KBs... I had the Comfort Curve 2000 for a few months and could not get used to the layout - but it also messed up typing on normal keyboards. I'm still struggling a bit even now, after using a normal layout for about a month or two...
If you do, it certainly can't hurt to do some hand/wrist stretches every 15 to 30 minutes. Your hands will feel better and it could prevent a chronic condition in the long term.
Yeah - I do stretch, but I think it might just be there full stop. If I use a hard mosue mat then it is not really too much of a problem, it's just that when I wanna play BF, I can not really do that with a hard mat.

Last edited:
If it was bigger, then it might have been quite good for me. It's not big enough for me to crip with my whole hand without thinking about it.
Thats wut she said. :p (couldn't resist)

So i've been using the G500 for a week now. Something felt a bit "off" from the beginning. My gf says to me after a few days "i hate the new mouse cuz it lags!" dammit...women are right sometimes!

Roccat kone is a very well made high performance mouse. Owned one for a few weeks now and have no complaints. Had an mx518 before and the kone is more comfortable.

Thats wut she said. :p (couldn't resist)

So i've been using the G500 for a week now. Something felt a bit "off" from the beginning. My gf says to me after a few days "i hate the new mouse cuz it lags!" dammit...women are right sometimes!
WHHAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? That's a very odd thing for the G500 to have - after all, a sort of flagship gaming mouse for Logitech.
Roccat kone is a very well made high performance mouse. Owned one for a few weeks now and have no complaints. Had an mx518 before and the kone is more comfortable.

Yeah that one has had some good feedback on nvnews from a few guys - it is a pretty expensive mouse though. I'm using the Copperhead now - it is a damn good mouse after all. I might get another Copperhead or perhaps try out this Kone when the double-clicking issue becomes unbearable. .

WHHAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? That's a very odd thing for the G500 to have - after all, a sort of flagship gaming mouse for Logitech.

I'm not noticing any lag whatsoever with mine. However, I also felt that something during certain movements is "off" as dj_taboo noted. I haven't experienced it with my G5 or G9. I'm thinking it either has something to do with the new laser engine or the position of the sensor on the bottom of the mouse, as it's further forward than my other mice. Perhaps it has to do with how I'm used to moving the mouse in order to attain precise cursor accuracy. I'm leaning towards the sensor location theory, but it could also be the new circuitry/logic. More experimentation and time will tell...

I'm not noticing any lag whatsoever with mine. However, I also felt that something during certain movements is "off" as dj_taboo noted. I haven't experienced it with my G5 or G9. I'm thinking it either has something to do with the new laser engine or the position of the sensor on the bottom of the mouse, as it's further forward than my other mice. Perhaps it has to do with how I'm used to moving the mouse in order to attain precise cursor accuracy. I'm leaning towards the sensor location theory, but it could also be the new circuitry/logic. More experimentation and time will tell...

Yeah - a pretty valid assumption about the sensor position.

So I've been looking for a mouse. Just something fairly straight-forward and functional.

I've bought the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 - I got it and straight away the RMB was pressing too lightly, I sent it back - got a refund. Now I got the MX518 and here the LMB is harder to press than the RMB and actually takes an amount of effort that I feel almost certainly, over time would cause strain.

What the hell? Why is there irregularity like this between the main MBs? or did I just get unlucky twice? :(

I got my deathadder just last week and I felt the same thing. The left mouse button requires a bit more force to click and has a softer tactile response. My logitech mouse did the same thing, but I thought a razer mouse would be different. Do any of you guys notice this on your razer mice?

Yeah - a pretty valid assumption about the sensor position.

Hmm...the laser is positioned towards the front of the mouse, not centered like the DA. Also the tiny side buttons are driving me insane so far.

I got my deathadder just last week and I felt the same thing. The left mouse button requires a bit more force to click and has a softer tactile response. My logitech mouse did the same thing, but I thought a razer mouse would be different. Do any of you guys notice this on your razer mice?
Hmm, not sure if the following is the same, but here: when i was RMAing my Copperhead I got in total 3 mice sent ot me, only the last one was alright - and initially i did not want to use it as it still did not quite feel like my original. Now it seems fine though. The problems the other two mice had was that the LMB would just sort of curve and not press - like the actualy button below was pushed in. But these irregularities are really not cool - I;ve sent an mp3 player back twice and then back for a refund as I just did not find the buttons consistent on all the ones I recieved - one player would have this and another would have that. :/
Hmm...the laser is positioned towards the front of the mouse, not centered like the DA. Also the tiny side buttons are driving me insane so far.

Oh wells.What are you thinking of doing now?

Back