A question regarding speakers and ethics

SexTreX

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 15, 2007
Messages
316
Okay, so I bought a Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 system last august, and I absolutely loved them until a couple months ago when the power supply shorted out, which apparently is a pretty common problem with these speakers.
So I called logitech support, and they told me that:
A) They would replace them because they had a 2-year warranty, but I would need a reciept (which is a problem because I can't find it)
B) that the Z-5300e's are discontinued, which means I would have to pay the full retail difference to upgrade to the Z-5500's, or downgrade to the G-51
I strongly disliked my options, so I put the issue on the backburner until about a week ago, when my younger brother suggested an alternative. The Z-5300e's are still available at a lot of stores, and he thinks I should buy another set of Z-5300e's, replace just defective part of the system, and return it.
While I am drawn to this idea because it gets me my 5.1 setup back, I can't bring myself to do it because it seems morally wrong.

What do you guys think?
 
I dont find it "morally" wrong since they know its an issue with that model, they know its under warranty, and they know THEY manufactured it. The whole having to provide a copy of the receipt for warranty service is bullshit.. they made the product, fucking support it. It shouldn't matter where you bought it

go to the store and do the buy / return and let them send it back to the manufacturer.
 
lol i agree with both!
if it is still under warranty tho- returning it to the store just makes the store do the work. they will give it back to the distributor (with any other defective parts) who will send it to logitech. the morally wrong part is that u make the store do some work. on known problem products i have no problem with this- manufacturers will listen to stores complaints a lot louder than end users.
 
It is in fact morally wrong.


I disagree. Big retailers sell shelf space, and often do not own many of the brand name goods they are selling. This is probably true with Logitech. If this is the case, the replacement is ultimately coming from the same source. Honestly, Logitech should stand behind their product by offering an equal or superior replacement. Just my $.02.
 
First of all, I'd like to thank you guys for your input, each post has made me think about different aspects of the situation from different angles.

Honestly, Logitech should stand behind their product by offering an equal or superior replacement. Just my $.02.

This point really hit home. True, I lost the reciept, that is completely my fault. But even if I did have it, due to the fact that Logitech discontinued the Z-5300e's, I will either have to pay the full retail price difference for the Z-5500's, $200, which happens to be the going rate for the same set online, or downgrade to an inferior product, both of which are unfair to me as a customer.
Of course, pushing the cost off on a third party is unfair to that third party because they did nothing but offer the Logitech product.
If BakedAlaska is right though, and the retailer never bought the product, then once again Logitech takes the hit they had coming to them for making a product that wouldn't last the length of the warranty..... right?:confused:
 
sometimes the receipt has a serial on it that must match the item RMA'd. I know this is the case with returns at most brick and mortar electronics stores.

If you know where the sticker with this serial is located, you could heat it up with a hairdryer, slice thru the softened adhesive with dental floss, and switch the stickers so that the one you send back matches the serial on the receipt...

not that I would engage in that sort of thing.
 
Back
Top