A question on upgrading...

CaineX

n00b
Alright, here's a question I have... see, I have this old 733 celeron POS, and I'd like to install Win XP on it... I am planning on building a computer for myself in the near future as well.
So, I was wondering if this would work: I buy Win XP Home OEM (Because I don't have the CD or CD-Key for the OS that's currently on this because it's a stupid retail PC)... So I install Win XP Home on this computer...
Then, in the future when I build the computer for myself, could I purchase the upgrade version of Win XP Professional, use the CD and CD-Key from my Win XP Home, and do a clean install of XP Pro on my new computer, while retaining XP Home on my old computer? Is that possible?

Also, the computer I'm putting XP on now is old... can anyone show me to a site that helps me tweak it to run better on less memory and such?

No, you can't do that. Upgrade editions do not qualifty as a second OS in that regard.

Re: Tweaking:
Disabling the Indexing service is the only thing you need to worry about from a resources standpoint. I've got Win2K and WinXP on a PPro 200 and Celeron 500, respectively, and each is quick and responsive once boot happens. Combined, background services account for well under 1% of CPU resources, and the RAM requirements get shuttled off to the hard drive when other programs need the space.

upgrade=no, each computer will require a full OEM license.

service tweaks... see sig.

There are some you can do to help a little on memory usage, but I suggest leaving services alone and buying more RAM. Tweaking your services generally causes more headache than it's worth... Most people get the machines working, then 6 mothns they make a change, forgetting what all what tweaked, and they end of here asking for help.

CaineX said:
Also, the computer I'm putting XP on now is old... can anyone show me to a site that helps me tweak it to run better on less memory and such?
Start>>Control Panel>>System>>Performance tab

The big concern with XP is the ammount of memory in the system. I've run XP on 733s before (at work) with no problems (but they had 512MB). A lot of 733s are only going to have 64 or 128MB of RAM, so XP performance will be a bit sluggish.

128 is a bare minimum for sanity sake, I wouldn't run it on 64, at all. At my company, 256 is the min, and that's just fine on older machines.

It definitely comes down to memory. I have XP Pro running on a Celeron 566 with 256 MB of memory (as my SNES machine). Once it boots and settles, it's actually pretty responsive...much better than I expected.

Back