A Question of Patience ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFM

Gawd
How long do you wait for communication before you begin to think neutral / negative heat feedback?

I ended a deal on these forums around the 2nd of January. The initial communication was good while figuring out the details of the deal. Then, once it was over, it was like he dropped off the face of the earth.

I have already paid (I pay as soon as i get a price from somebody - and i have verified in Paypal that both items were paid on Jan 2) and am now just waiting. After i had handed over hte money, i read through his evals on heatware.com (all but one positive, and the one negative seemed to be a one case thing) and some people stated that shipping was great and fast while others spoke of it being a mite slow. So i even e-mailed him asking about that and what i could do to insure faster shipping (was wanting my items relatively quickly).

Unfortunately, i have not heard a peep out of him since the initial bargaining emails. And just a couple days ago i sent a polite email asking if he had had a chance to mail out the items yet (no delivery confirmation number or anything). For all i know - my items that i have paid for are still sitting in his living room (though i have a feeling they're probably in the mail somewhere ... i like to give people the benefit of the doubt)

My question for you older, wiser, and more experienced traders is this, how long should i wait and just be patient before i think about providing a not-so-perfect heatware evaluation. Or am i just being too impatient and should i just sit it out and wait?

Thanks for any advice!
Chris

My 2 cents...

Give it a few more weeks. Try to communicate again and document everything.

10 days is a long time, especially since you already paid. I'd give it 4 more days for 2 weeks total for at least some communication. Definately call him if you have a number.

We all assume at times it is some kind of troll action taking place simply because of all the ass hats that are out there being thieves. I agree with 'visick' give a bit more before starting 'The Hunt' Never know what could be happening on his side. Just my thoughts...

I would only give the time visick says if the guy was in communication with you. If you haven't heard from him since the 2nd that's a little fishy. If you havent heard from him by the 14th day after paypaling him I would contact paypal. I know their are circumstances but lack of communication is not a good trading practice I would rather hear I cant get it out for 2 weeks than not emailing me back.

My $.02 -For dropping off the face of the earth, unless he comes up with a damn good excuse, he is now a bad trader. There is no excuse for no communication.

I would start thinking about what to do if he trolls you.

Originally posted by Ruckus
I would only give the time visick says if the guy was in communication with you. If you haven't heard from him since the 2nd that's a little fishy. If you havent heard from him by the 14th day after paypaling him I would contact paypal. I know their are circumstances but lack of communication is not a good trading practice I would rather hear I cant get it out for 2 weeks than not emailing me back.

Agreed....I stand corrected to some degree

Sorry if this comes out all messed up... having a really hard time holding everythign together tonight...

I would give it at least a week more... from personal experience, somethign may have happened to him. When I got int he accident I wasnt able to return home for a month. Nobody would have nkown if it wasnt for a good friend of mine who traded here as well and took care of sending out everything to everyone who had already paid.

I would give it some time just to be sure.

Just my thoughts... which arent about much but someone that I lost recently...

So again, sorry if this makes no sense.

-Brian

I've got a mostly unrelated question here-

I bought a NIC from somebody, decent deal, but it came with no AS bag and didn't work. I tried it on two systems. I contacted him and mailed it back with his consent. To be honest, I forgot about it for a long time- (I don't have me 'sent' email records, but the inital contact about buying was Nov. 15th) but I remember it once day and I didn't know how it had worked out. I counted it as a done deal and shelved the memory. Wouldn't you know it, the guy PMs me the next day(A few days ago) and tells me he got it and it works fine, but he's willing to reimburse shipping. I know that it wasn't working when I got it, but he says it is.

Reccomendations on what to do next?

Thanks guys for the comments - which were along the lines of what i was kind of expecting.

I don't mind long shipments, but i do appreciate some kind of notice that lets me konw they have been shipped. I know the guy will not troll me, i could just tell it was all legit. I just would like to know that he takes trading seriously and that he's not sitting around doing everything but taking 5 minutes to take the items to the post office when he perfectly well could. And if he can't, i'd like to know that as well.

Well - i do have documentation of every email between us, both sent and received. And i have my paypal records. So if this escalates (after i give it a few more days) then i'll figure out what to do from there.

Further more, when do i start thinking giving him a neutral / negative evaluation? Any other comments or help would be appreciated

As far as the above situation, if you tried it with your systems, and he's willing to refund the money (unless he's accusing you of lying and is only refunding to appease you but still thinks you're a jerk) then i'd say take teh refund and look elsewhere ... but that's just my opinion

phasmatis_nox

well Ive had NICs that worked on 1 machine and not another, dont know why just worked out like that expecially intel NICs. Is he willing to reimburse you the money or is it take the card back but you pay for shipping? Im kinda lost in your post, some things didnt make sense to me reading it.

It's a 3Com 905BTX, if that means anything.
I'll try to re-has my post here and make more sense this time-
I bought a NIC from him.
It came bare in a USPS mailer- no AS
I took a while to get around to testing it- didn't work. Tried on another machine- didn't work.
Contacted him, mailed it back
Forgot about it for the most part.
A month or more later he PMs me and tells me that it works fine. Says he'll reimburse shipping cost- $5.

I think the original cost was $15 shipped, so I'm not all that motivated to pursue this much.

Well since I mostly sale, communcation doesnt matter if somebody is waving money in my face :p

But I do tell them when I shipped the item out so they'll know. I'm open to all communcation

Originally posted by TFM
Thanks guys for the comments - which were along the lines of what i was kind of expecting..........Further more, when do i start thinking giving him a neutral / negative evaluation? Any other comments or help would be appreciated........

if you get your stuff fairly soon, and it is as described/working, then the worst you should leave is neutral, neg is really for item not working and he tells you "tough shit", or outright troll. I would wait and see. Pay Pal has a 30 day limit on tranactions, so if you do not have the stuff in your hands by the 29th day after paying, file a complaint with pay pal NO MATTER WHAT HE SAYS. you can always drop your complaintif he comes through, but after 30 days, you are SOL. I'd hear him out before leaving anything less then positive fb. If i am disatified enough to leave a neatural or neg i tell the other party that BEFORE i leave it, and give them a chance to redeem themselves. just my .02:eek:

If you read the rules, there is also a section dealing with trading common sense and troll outing below the stated rules. The recommended time according to this forum:

"In a lot of cases items are sent but maybe not as quickly as hoped. So give the trade time to pan out before claiming someone is a troll. I suggest at least giving the trade 2-4 weeks before even thinking about claiming someone as a troll.

Believe it or not things do happen that cause people to not be able to ship on a promised date. This does not make them a troll. They should provide an explanation for such activity but in the end they do not have to as long as they do complete the trade.

If you have a problem with the speed at which someone trades then leave feedback about it on the users preferred feedback site."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back