• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A question for you professional web developers...

Paithar

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 17, 2003
Messages
1,049
When a potential employer asks you for a portfolio, what exactly do you put in it?

I've been a web developer for two years now but all of those two years with one company. I've been trying to find another job and I found one that I've had one phone interview with already. This potential employer told me over the phone that if I'm selected to have a second, in person, interview I would need to bring a portfolio. I've never had to put together a portfolio before for any job, let alone as a web developer so I'm kind of lost as to what I should put in it. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
 
As a developer I've never seen the need to put together a physical portfolio. I suppose you could be a smartass and print out a few hundred sheets of code and stick it in a 3-ring binder, but as funny as that may be, I doubt it would get you the job.

Realistically, If I were absolutely required to put together a physical portfolio, I suppose I might have an image of a front-end application along with a sample of well-formed code from the back end.
 
Don't be thinking about binders, now ;)

Compile an electronic portfolio on either a CD or on a website that anyone can get to.

A CD- just create a basic HTML navigational page to showcase some of your stuff, with images of your work and samples of code.
You can even use an autorun to run the index page to begin with, so that they aren't wondering what to open.

I've seen PowerPoint used before, but granted some folks don't have it installed.

At any rate, CD or website, or both. You just can't show off non-physical stuff like webpages on paper well at all. Images would be your only option.
 
Thanks for the info. I think I'll create a cd like you said, zacdl. It sounds a bit more professional to me to do it that way. Just in case, however, I will print some things off because I have done interviews in the past where there was absolutely no computer close by to pop a cd in and view what it had to offer.

I appreciate the replies.
 
I set up a portfolio (that kinda sucks...) at http://www.benefiel.net/

I was coming out of a mostly sys admin / light PHP dev into a .NET development/build position. It seemed to work OK for what I needed...
 
Cool site calebb. I can easily create something like that to showcase my projects. I can also see how that would be beneficial as I could put it in my cover letters, allowing a potential employer to go and check out my portfolio ahead of time and get a better idea if they even want to meet with me. I just might have to see if I can put one together this weekend.
 
I use a small walmart-calmped-sleves type binder (if you want to call it a binder) to show my work. It's not all websites or just graphics. It's a high quality print of website screens, business cards, flyers, local community designs/propoganda, some art in general, etc.

I think it's better to come in prepared and have an immediate visible portfolio that can be flipped through easily and quickly.

A cd rom seems like a weird idea, then again I do tech support. I think some people would be turned off by the CDRom idea because of what I deal with day to day. The small companies I have went to for a job have worked well thus far.

The thing is, I usually never speak to the person in charge; I get some secretary that would be like .... "cdrom, errrr what do i do, which side is the the top, do i need to take my drink out of that protruding device labeled CDRom for you to insert the CD" .... you get the idea.

just my fiddy-48 cents
 
I've never done a physical portfolio, but I have given potential employers links to an online portfolio, showing graphics/images I've made, webpages I've done, etc. I find it easier then printing off a bunch of things, and putting them in a binder, though it's the same concept.
 
there is a big difference between a developer and a designer.

Developers code, designers do the graphical design and basic html code.

If you want to put together a portfolio put together something that actually does something either server or client side.

Server side would obviously would require you hosting it. If you are like me where your years of development have been for in house development, stress that to them. Drop terminology that will explain that you know what your talking about. Ask them for specifics of what you would like to bring for a "portfolio". In my interviews the interviewer would ask questions that would relate specifically to the technology I would be developing in. i.e.. "How are you are ADO.net" or "Are you familiar with CFC's", things that only someone who is serious would know. IMO the reality is that your selling yourself, not your portfolio. If you can focus on telling them that you know what your doing, you dont know everything but you can get the job done. Then the rest is easy.

B
 
Back
Top