A question about the power requirements of a GTX285

raynman68

Limp Gawd
I am currently building an water cooled i7 rig built around the Asus P6T6 WS Revolution and 920 processor when my kids surprised me with birthday gift of an XFX GTX285. I have folded for the [H]orde in the past, but am currently devoting my energies towards WCG. Lately, I have been feeling the itch to get back into folding once again on the GPU side and I am now think 3 GTX285's under water would be a beautiful thing. The question I have is how much power supply am I going to need to pull this rig off. With 3 vid cards I am figuring dual loops and possibly dual triple rads on the video cards alone. I have listed the components of importance.

Intel i7 920 CPU
Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
12GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 RAM
2 WD 1TB Black HDD
1 Samsung DVD Burner
3 XFX GTX 285
2 MCP355 water pumps

With regards to power requirement suggestions over clocks will naturally have to be taken in to account.:D Thank you in advance for your replies.

i am currently running exactly your proposed rig on a TT 1200W PSU. Both CPU (running WCG) and GPUs (running F@H) are heavily OC'd and i've not missed a beat with PSU. Plus it is 87% efficient.

A quality 1kW PSU would be sufficient for those components. Something like the Corsair HX1000 or Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W, or on the higher-end, the Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W would be an excellent option.

Woah brother raynman68 :eek: I did a quick calculation from info I've mined from the Internet. According to my information the i7 CPU = 130w (stock, idle), the GTX285 = 183w (stock, idle) and the MCP355 = 19w (stock, idle). So when you add it all up (and in my case finish tying my shoe laces :rolleyes:) I get the tune of 715w alone for the components mentioned above. I agree with the previous poster you could probably get by with a 1000w PSU. I'm more inclined to think a 1200w PSU like brother capreppy posted. I think a PSU is a very critical computer component and in the case of one as large as 1000w+ a very expensive computer component. So , in a nutshell. I'd go with a 1200w PSU for the overhead and the less wear and tear on the unit.

Brother capreppy could you please post the "at the wall draw" (like with a Kill-o-watt meter or some such) :confused: I would think that would give you a true and accurate measurement of the total power the boxen draws ;)

EDIT: Oops :( I've been corrected twice on my watt draw numbers. The numbers were the maximum wattage draw (I DC 24/7 and I don't know or even care what the draw is at idle on my boxen). ;) Being an avid 24/7 DCer I was just using those numbers because I'm one of the ones that use the ole' "better to be safe than sorry" expression. :rolleyes:
I still think with a computer the beefier PSU you have the better off you are, but like they always say "to each, his/her own" :cool: (thats why I have a separate PSU's to run my WCing pumps and fans. I'd spring for a bigger PSU, but I like the redundency of having two PSU's (my main PSU is a questionable OCZ 700w and my secondary PSU is a server EMACS Zippy 600w) :p I don't know the price difference, but I'd do take brother capeppy advice and go with a 1200w PSU of good quality ;)

DCing for the CURE

i am currently running exactly your proposed rig on a TT 1200W PSU. Both CPU (running WCG) and GPUs (running F@H) are heavily OC'd and i've not missed a beat with PSU. Plus it is 87% efficient.
That's the one I'd get if building a new box today.
W0133RU Nvidia lists it for both 280 and 285 Tri-SLI setups.

I tried adding a 285 in my second box (HX1000w) with with 2 280s and it wasn't stable F@H overclocked. Might have just been something on my end, but my HX1000w is happy running 2 280s and SMP 24/7.

Thanks for the input guys. I was contemplating going with the HX1000 based on my past record with Corsair power supplies but was unsure because of the power draw of the 3 cards. although it has been said many times that the Corsair is conservatively rated at 1000W questions in my mind still remained. I was looking at the Thermaltake W0133RU as well based on its reviews. In the end I ended ordering the Thermaltake. I have used Thermaltake power supplies in the past and only had one problem with a DOA on a going out of business sale that they took care of promptly.

Capreppy, I caught a glance at your build log on XS,very nice indeed. I ended up picking up a couple of Systrin drive enclosures from Amazon for my drives as well. When I get all my parts, I will have to look at doing a build log as well.

Once again thanks all for the input.

Woah brother raynman68 :eek: I did a quick calculation from info I've mined from the Internet. According to my information the i7 CPU = 130w (stock, idle), the GTX285 = 183w (stock, idle) and the MCP355 = 19w (stock, idle). So when you add it all up (and in my case finish tying my shoe laces :rolleyes:) I get the tune of 715w alone for the components mentioned above. I agree with the previous poster you could probably get by with a 1000w PSU. I'm more inclined to think a 1200w PSU like brother capreppy posted. I think a PSU is a very critical computer component and in the case of one as large as 1000w+ a very expensive computer component. So , in a nutshell. I'd go with a 1200w PSU for the overhead and the less wear and tear on the unit.

Brother capreppy could you please post the "at the wall draw" (like with a Kill-o-watt meter or some such) :confused: I would think that would give you a true and accurate measurement of the total power the boxen draws ;)

DCing for the CURE

your numbers are a bit off for those being stock idle wattage..

According to my information the i7 CPU = 130w (stock, idle), the GTX285 = 183w (stock, idle) and the MCP355 = 19w (stock, idle).
Those numbers are actually the maximum rated load wattages, not the idle numbers.

Those numbers are actually the maximum rated load wattages, not the idle numbers.

Oops, my bad Zero82z. I sure didn't mean to lead anyone a' stray :( Seeing as I DC 24/7, I don't know or care what my idle watt draws are. I'm one of the "better to be safe, than sorry" peeps and I've always believed a PSU was a very critical component of my boxen (especially running 24/7) and the beefier it was the better (it isn't strained or maxed out, that don't mean put a 2000w PSU on a P3) :rolleyes:. I still believe in taking brother capreppy's advice and going with a quality 1200 PSU, but as they always say "to each, his/her own" :p

DCing for the CURE

The way I work out a PSU requirermemt is .........
2 x CPU wattage + 0.75 x number of card x Card wattage + Extras = Approx draw of system.
Then 1.6 x Approx draw of system = PSU power.
So 2x130+(0.75x3x180)+2x20 = ~700 watts.
1.6x700 = 1120 watts.
So I'd expect a 1,000 watt PSU will probably be just over 50% load and a 1,200 watt PSU will be at just under 50% load.

Luck ............ :D

Oops, my bad Zero82z. I sure didn't mean to lead anyone a' stray :( Seeing as I DC 24/7, I don't know or care what my idle watt draws are. I'm one of the "better to be safe, than sorry" peeps and I've always believed a PSU was a very critical component of my boxen (especially running 24/7) and the beefier it was the better (it isn't strained or maxed out, that don't mean put a 2000w PSU on a P3) :rolleyes:. I still believe in taking brother capreppy's advice and going with a quality 1200 PSU, but as they always say "to each, his/her own" :p
Well, saying that something is an idle wattage implies that the load wattage will be much higher. So your post basically implied that a system like that would use a tremendously greater amount of power than it actually would. The PSU is definitely a very critical component, but it also isn't necessary to go too overkill ;).

Well, saying that something is an idle wattage implies that the load wattage will be much higher. So your post basically implied that a system like that would use a tremendously greater amount of power than it actually would. The PSU is definitely a very critical component, but it also isn't necessary to go too overkill ;).

I couldn't disagree more :eek:. Not with the 1000w PSU vs the 1200w PSU thing because I could honestly give a shite less :p . If someone isn't smart enough to use Google or some other Internet searcher to get the idle and load watt usage of a pretty well known computer componet than I certainly can't help them and neither can you. . (and I ain't talkin' just about the BS some manufactuers state, like the fan loudness crap :rolleyes:)

Now, what I basically or non basically implied was what I got from thre manufactuers website ;) The numbers may be at full load and may be the maximum draw, but I'd rather know that up front incase 24/7 DCing causes my computers to draw it's maximum wattage :) I think many others would also. I don't see using my computer at it's max performance as tremendously overkill. Whatever the f*ck that is. In fact I DO want OVERKILL and cushion when I'm pushing my electronics to it's max :D

The above post is only my opinions. If there is some disagreement I don't care, I don't think everyone agrees with everyone, at leasrt IMHO they shouldn't :eek:

DCing for the CURE

Back