a question about static

wayne

2[H]4U
what does ESD stand for?

and also, i heard that anything will conduct electricity even wood or rubber just as long as there is enough electricity to go through..... so lets say i m wearing cotton socks and a thick wool sweater on a very dry night in a cold cold winter....and i shuffle my feet on the ground and i move a lot on the carpet.... now lets say i do this for a few hours without grounding myself.... is it possible that i can zap some materials like rubber or wood if i generate a LOT of static electricity?

esd = electro static discharge, i think.

i'd say if you can create enough static electricity to conduct through rubber or wood, you'd probally end up killing yourself first.

Originally posted by lsun22
esd = electro static discharge, i think.

i'd say if you can create enough static electricity to conduct through rubber or wood, you'd probally end up killing yourself first.
it's simpler than that:
You couldn't create enough static, it would discharge via other means before you'd get that much.

look into Tesla coils;)

You would need a hell of a lot of electricity considering 115v household electrical is insulated by a few millimeters of rubber.

is static ac or dc?

can i use that electricity to power like a flashlight or something?..like hold the ends of a light bulb and rub my socks on carpet during a cold winter

how many amps, volts, watts can come out of a static shock?

can i measure the amount with a multimeter?.. like when i kno i will get shocked, i hold the ends of a multimeter and zaap

Static = Static, it's neither AC nor DC

You would need a hell of a lot of electricity considering 115v household electrical is insulated by a few millimeters of rubber.

Insulation is based on voltage differences... And as static electricity is in the 1000's to 10,000's volt range, you very well might discharge through an "insulator". Just because something is classified as an insulator doesn't mean that it won't conduct electricity.

As for measuring static, a static discharge through one's multimeter would quite probably damage the guts. Depending on how much charge difference is generated, it can be in the thousands of volts, but we're talking only a handful of electrons. So the ameperage approaches zero when talking about static.

Originally posted by Vertigo Acid
Static = Static, it's neither AC nor DC

Insulation is based on voltage differences... And as static electricity is in the 1000's to 10,000's volt range, you very well might discharge through an "insulator". Just because something is classified as an insulator doesn't mean that it won't conduct electricity.

As for measuring static, a static discharge through one's multimeter would quite probably damage the guts. Depending on how much charge difference is generated, it can be in the thousands of volts, but we're talking only a handful of electrons. So the ameperage approaches zero when talking about static.

No shit....

The whole point is static is going to have a very hard time penatraiting an insulator like rubber to groung out, common household static that is. Most of the time static wouldnt penatrait through soemthing solid and non comducting like rubber rather around it, for example through the lattic of fabric.

Agreed, it's more likely to pass around the insulator. However,

You would need a hell of a lot of electricity

is still wrong. A high potential difference, aka voltage, does not mean a high quantity of electrons aka amperage.

Originally posted by Vertigo Acid
is still wrong. A high potential difference, aka voltage, does not mean a high quantity of electrons aka amperage.

I was speaking in terms of static itself. 'A lot' doesnt necessarily mean high voltage on the contrary.

'A lot' can mean a power line, or it could also mean a lightning bolt.

I really wasnt trying to start a physics debate here, rather just stating a very basic vague point.

Originally posted by PhreakPhy
But to fry a chip it only takes like 1/100th of what you can feel.

Scarrrry. Sometimes when im getting ready to open my PC, I get shocked right when I touch the case. This could probably be potentially bad, right?

Originally posted by LyL18
Scarrrry. Sometimes when im getting ready to open my PC, I get shocked right when I touch the case. This could probably be potentially bad, right?

Exactly the opposite -- that's why you touch the case. Discharge that static ASAP, then feel free to touch important components as long as you're not building up static the whole time. This is why people use a grounding wrist strap.

I personally just make sure to touch anything metal before touching any components... funny thing is, I've never been shocked.. and all my stuff seems fine..

Guess I'm not a static-electricity-attracting kind of guy :(.

Originally posted by Porphyria
I personally just make sure to touch anything metal before touching any components...

Any unpainted metal should work, maybe, but it's always best to touch something grounded. Touching the inside of your case somewhere, when it's pluged in, is always the best. If you take apart a PSU, you will find that the "third prong" (the ground) goes straight to the metal casing on the power supply. The power supply is then in contact with the rest of the metal insides of the case, so it's all grounded.

If you're zapping your case when you touch it, then you're not causing harm to your components. Electricity takes the shortest path to the ground, and if the case is grounded through a wall socket, that's where it will go. So it's actually a good thing that you're zapping your case, you're just grounding yourself!

Shiit, I almost zapped my VGA card while reaching for it (while in my case), but I "accidentally" touched my case and got zapped. Scared the living shit out of me because I thought I was already grounded.

Be careful!

-Logiks

I was remarking the fact that, I've never been shocked or anything.. I feel so left out =(.

Originally posted by Porphyria
I was remarking the fact that, I've never been shocked or anything.. I feel so left out =(.

I wasn't trying to edgekate you, I was just blabbering away to anyone who will listen... I have a tendancy to do that :( :p

Static electricity resembles DC more than AC. AC, or alternating current, swaps positive and negative poles 60 times per second. AC allows a higher electrical current to travel further through power lines with less resistance than DC.

Originally posted by jagec
it's simpler than that:
You couldn't create enough static, it would discharge via other means before you'd get that much.

look into Tesla coils;)

My cousin just got done BUILDING a tesla coil it rocks! we were powering those tube lights ( the real name escapes me at the moment) by swinging them NEAR the main thing. Its his project lol thats y i cant remember wat the things are called :p

Originally posted by OregonLAN
Static electricity resembles DC more than AC. AC, or alternating current, swaps positive and negative poles 60 times per second. AC allows a higher electrical current to travel further through power lines with less resistance than DC.

yea kind of, but dont forget that they are different types of electricity. Static and current. Technically static doesnt follow a pather persay, if it did it would be current.

i think some people get way outta hand when they come to dealing with static. ive been working with computer components, systems, for years and not once have i ever damaged anything. this is working on parts on my bedroom carpet, or up on a wood desk. there is a chance you could ruin something but im up in canada where the air is dry during the winter, and even then ive never ruined anything. is it luck..? i dont think so, i think its just that people put this ESD thing so out there that its pretty much created a scare tatic....

Originally posted by ChappyChaps11
My cousin just got done BUILDING a tesla coil it rocks! we were powering those tube lights ( the real name escapes me at the moment) by swinging them NEAR the main thing. Its his project lol thats y i cant remember wat the things are called :p
whats a tesla coil?...what did you do with it?, i m confused

Cold cathodes?
i ordered these liquid neon lights from xhour a few weeks back... when i turn it on and wave over this solar powered calculator, it turns on and the numbers flash like crazy... it changes on its own....very very scary

Originally posted by wayne
whats a tesla coil?...what did you do with it?, i m confused
Basically BIG fucking transformers that work at very high freqencies. They have a relatively small primary and a big secondary. Try google for more information. There is stuff outside of hardforums.

Back