• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A question about server cooling...

djBon2112

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 29, 2006
Messages
5,279
I've got 2 HP Proliant DL145's (1U rackmount, 2x Dual Core 1.8GHz Opterons), and the 40mm fans in these things are DAMN loud! The noise they emit gives me a headache, and I can't stand to even work with them for more than 5 minutes! Now, I know that these dual-blade fans (the first fan is 5-fin and turns clockwise, and the second is 3-fin and turns counterclockwise) are designed to move a lot of air in closed spaces (like a 1U server), and that it needs a lot of air to keep the processors cool, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some quieter fans that would let me use these servers without overheating and also without driving me to take codeine while working on them! ;)

Pics of the current fans will come when I get home from work...

EDIT: Pics... Natural habitat:


Single fan front [pull side]:


Single fan back [push side]:


Fans front [pull side]:


Fans back [push side]:
 
Back
Top