A question about motherboard standoffs

tojoski

Weaksauce
Here's a silly thought that I could use an opinion or or two on about motherboard standoffs:

I have a Gigabyte GA-7PESH2 motherboard (SSI-EEB) that I am installing in a Cooler Master MasterBox case.

Most of the standoff holes line up with the exception of three of them. For these, I used a 1/4" Female/Female standoff screwed to the board, just to provide support in those areas.

Here's the thing, the standoffs that I had in the bin were aluminum, and the pads on the bottom of the board are copper.

This got me thinking, all of the motherboard standoffs that I have ever seen have either been brass, or painted steel.

Is there a risk of galvanic corrosion here or am I overthinking this? This board is pretty hard to find and I had the fortune of finding two reasonably priced a while back on eBay, so I just don't want to take a chance.

Is there a risk of galvanic corrosion here or am I overthinking this? This board is pretty hard to find and I had the fortune of finding two reasonably priced a while back on eBay, so I just don't want to take a chance.

Galvanic corrosion requires an electrolyte. As long as you're not in a VERY humid environment, you should be fine. Even in a humid environment, you'd probably be fine over the course of a couple years.

Back