A problem with outlook 2007

EngrChris

Gawd
I have a problem with outlook that I can't fix too easily. Outlook hangs on startup. Only safe mode works and I have backup my personal folders (pst's). I have tried repairing, uninstall and install office, using all of the clear/reset command switches, clearing out the pst files (all backed up), and disabling plug-ins.

I'm out of ideas.

Are the PST files from an earlier version of office and if so what is the size?

All files are from the 2007 edition. outlook pst 280mb and archive 310mb. I'm starting to believe it is a windows user profile issue.

Backup your PST's, then from control panel, completely remove your outlook profile and then start over.

If your on exchange, backup and rename the ost file as well

Almost... :p
It freezes on creating outlook data file after setting up email account. (my profile/pst file, I'm guessing)
Edit: Its not permissions, as the data files do exist with data.

Create an empty data file and import the data form the old one.

I agree with above.....delete all existing profiles.
That means clearing files in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook as well as C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook

Create a new profile from scratch...with a virgin local folder file.

Now import data from your old PST. Same thing?
OK...repeat the process..but this time, don't import your entire old PST....import your data in small chunks...start with contacts, then calendar, and then slowly do your inbox bit by bit...one subfolder at a time..after each time opening Outlook to see if it runs fine. When it tanks..you'll know that the last bit of data you just imported is the culprit.

If Outlook runs fine with fresh virgin files before you import your old data, chances are that there is something corrupt in your old PST...and you have to take painfully long steps to find out what the data is which tanks it...."process of elimination".

I clear out both directories after backing them up. Same as the above post - stuck on creating data file, the problem still exists. The 'Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook' directory is clean after killing outlook when it locked up. Under 'Local\Microsoft\Outlook' we have "Outlook.pst" and "Outlook.sharing.xml.obi" Both files are filled data.

Simply, I can't get Outlook to finish loading/creating a new profile.

Last edited:
Yet safe mode works?
Hmmm..makes me think about add-ins.
What antivirus do you use?
What other plug ins do you have? I'd start looking there...plug ins or add-ons that put extra buttons and features into Outlook.

Also try ruling out this profile, create a new local user profile and try setting up Outlook in that one.

No plugins, AV, firewall, nor roaming profile. Using the windows guest, outlook does work with my email account. I wonder...

OK so Outlooks works fine in another profile, my hunch is something is tanked with your local profile. Could be permissions within your user profile...that's something that can take months to sort out.

No antivirus huh? Hmmm...wonder what else is tanked on that rig if it's running naked...oh boy that certainly opens things right up.

I ran MSE and found nothing. I just did a clean windows install almost two months ago...

After installing a few updates and restarts my windows install is now in a broken state. Most applications like firefox, vs2010, xchat, (some windows dialogs) are running but not displaying any windows.

I think windows update broke my install.

EDIT, IE x64 works but not x86.
EDIT2, I'm in Safe mode and the apps work.
EDIT3, Performed a restore point in safe mode. Hey I forgot we had that. :p

Last edited:
I think your install is just broken. I would run a hardware test on the harddrive. Also I am not quite sure why anyone in this day and age would run without a firewall or AV software. Sure in the days of single core 1.x processors and 1gb of ram I sort of understand it but not with todays hardware and many free AV solutions with tiny footprints.

Back