A power draw quesdtion.

RAD

Limp Gawd
Hi gang,
Back in May I built the rig in my sig. Since then it has been up and running 24/7 with few exceptions. Yesterday my wife looked at our power bills from June to November of last year compared to this year and found them to be $40 higher on average. We have seen a jump of 340 kWh to 508 kWh.

We have been trying to figure out the exact reason for this. The only real change has been the addition of my computer to the apartment, as far as we can tell. Does a computer really draw $40 or 160 kWh of juice a month?

EDIT: Sigh... I can't believe I typo'd on the thread title.

160 kWh or 160,000 W * H means you are either drawing 160,000 Watts in 1 hour, or if you were running this for 24 hours a day, 30 days a month, 222 Watts per hour.

That sounds about right since your system is probably juicing much more Watts for less time per day.

I was afraid that was going to be what I heard but was hoping it wouldn't be. I really don't want to start shutting down my computer all the time. I run several 24/7 processes, etc. Not sure if it is worth $40 a month to keep it up though.

Back