A Picture I took 2016

The bumblebee picture is good, but I particularly like the one of the American Goldfinch.

mikebw.jpg

Trying out a Canon 100-400 mk1 with a 1.4 extender. My 70D loses AF past f/5.6, so it was MF only, but at an equivalent 900mm, I can't complain too much.

fight by J Horton, on Flickr

om nom nom by J Horton, on Flickr

This last one was of a kiddy-corner neighbor's birdfeeder, 165 feet (50 meters) away. It's a 100% crop, but I'm impressed.

from downtown (100% crop) by J Horton, on Flickr

bSQxE1Cl.jpg

There were a couple shots sharper than these in the album, but these were more fun :)

Trying out a Canon 100-400 mk1 with a 1.4 extender. My 70D loses AF past f/5.6, so it was MF only, but at an equivalent 900mm, I can't complain too much.

The Kenko extender will let you still have AF, but with varying results. In good light like that it probably would play okay. It's noticeably slower to focus than normal and can miss a lot more. I still don't know what to think about extenders though, unless your stabilized and on a tripod, I feel like I can get a better shot without it and crop the photo instead.

http://www.amazon.com/Kenko-1-4X-Te...1461937250&sr=8-1&keywords=kenko+1.4x+pro+300

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What does it do differently than the Canon extender? Does it trick the body into thinking it's at a different aperture? Just the physics of it won't let any 1.4x extender allow more light in...

What does it do differently than the Canon extender? Does it trick the body into thinking it's at a different aperture? Just the physics of it won't let any 1.4x extender allow more light in...

My best guess is that it simply intercepts the information being sent back to the camera and changes it appropriately. So it doesn't report to the camera that an extender is in use like the Canon one does, but it does change data to show the correct information. It will lock the minimum aperture to F8 when you should be at 5.6 without the extender, and will also compensate the zoom correctly in EXIF data. IE if you are at 400mm it would show up in EXIF as 560mm. If you didn't have an extender on the lens, you can manually still set a lens to f/8 or lower and retain AF, so this extender is probably doing something similar to that. It's not that AF doesn't magically work at f/8, it's just that Canon imposed an artificial limitation for one reason for another with their own extenders. The only gotcha that I know of is that Liveview doesn't like to play nice with this and doesn't want to load.

I see reviews that state that EXIF is incorrect for them, which is odd because in my experience it will set the minimum aperture on camera correctly at 1 stop lower and won't let you go wider than that.

The colours and structures you are achieving are simply fabulous.

Thank you for that!
This is one of the few things I can do after the Kiddos go to bed. One thing to keep a stay at home dad sane. This one was with an orangeish gel over the flash and blue dye in the drop.
I got a 2nd water droplet mechanism to try some dual side-by-side droplets, and if I can get the aiming spot on, I'll eventually try layered droplets on top of each other.

(It's crazy to think that I started this back in February of this year!)

Back