A Picture I took 2016

Back from Singapore with tons of photos. Here is the first :)

edc3dbf0610d21231bc1ee82372ce6f7

Timeline by Andrei Ursuleac - Photo 142876925 - 500px

Pictures from Plum Island from Sunday 3/6/16. Yes there is snow still on the beach :)

plumIsland_32.JPG plumIsland_07.JPG plumIsland_24.JPG plumIsland_47.JPG plumIsland_74.JPG plumIsland_131.JPG plumIsland_146.JPG

Adjusted the exposure on this one a bit, and did some spot removal of drops that take away from the composition. So far this is my favorite. Now for MOAR THICKAR WATERS! And maybe a change of color...Something warm, orange yellow and red perhaps with a sparkly backdrop.

Electric BLue Boogaloo | The Cambodian Space Project by Domingo Washington, on Flickr

Also, apparently "Electric BLue Boogaloo | The Cambodian Space Project" Is not a unique name...and is the name of an actual band in Cambodia.

Missed you guys! My camera's been collecting dust for a while, with my circumstances on the base in Turkey where I'm at having gone to complete shit. I haven't traveled since last November. :( I finally just decided I'd had enough and found a local to model for me so I could at least do *some* kind of photography. More to come...

Casual Photoshoot w/ Laura #1
by David Gevert, on Flickr

I'm digging those shots, Domingow. As much as I'd love to try that technique out, I just can justify dropping money on even more gear right now.

Thanks! I found the cognisys stopshot kit for waterdrop photography on Craigslist for 1/2 off the new price, so keep an eye out every now and then there are great deals to be had. It was in almost new condition and looked like the owner hardly used it. I'm just grateful that I have time to use the kit after the kiddos go to bed.
And with that here are some more taken last night.

Waterdroplet purple 2 by Domingo Washington, on Flickr

Waterdroplet purple 4 by Domingo Washington, on Flickr

Waterdroplet purple 3 by Domingo Washington, on Flickr

Waterdroplet purple 8 by Domingo Washington, on Flickr

You shots gave me an idea and so I did a search which confirmed I wasn't alone. Getting a shot where the lone sphere of liquid is in close proximity to a pointing finger would be a great experiment.

Thats a great idea! Although I would need a third hand (one for the shutter release, one for the drop release, and one to point--but a life like prosthetic (or robotic?) would do. I might be able to do a foot shutter release mod.
Time to try something new! Great idea, I'll try it sometime this week and post some results.

Panzer, did you use any lens filter on that sunset shot? Even with the proper exposure, I've found the sun is often over-exposed.

No, it was shot without any filters on the lens. The haze and distant clouds are what helped to mute the sun's typical habit of blowing out a shot. There is some post correct for levels and contrast as well.

When I do intend to shoot the sun, I'll usually have a polarized filter on.

IMO with modern sensors (especially sony made) the DR is amazing at low ISO so just use LightRoom (or whatever you prefer) to pull back the highlights

Also when shooting something with strong highlights (like the sun in this case ;)) underexpose. It's ussually easier to pull up shadows than recover blown highlights.

Anyway here is another of mine:

24ccc8ea041fefefec0073a54b3812a9

Bite by Andrei Ursuleac - Photo 143882213 - 500px

Caveat to that advice, Neutrino...it depends on the camera. Your advice to underexpose and pull up shadows tends to work a lot worse on Canon bodies, but they have more detail recoverable in the highlights. But on my Nikon D800, I can pull out crazy detail from the shadows.

I do not have much experience with cannon sensors, I am mostly used to Sony sensors (mentioned in my post) which at this point - as you probably know - are rather ubiquitous (your d800 even fuji x-trans)

I guess I got spoiled by the shadow recovery of Sony and assumed this applied more universally, thanks for the correction :)

OK, that makes sense. I use a Nikon D90 and when photographing sunsets, I use a very low ISO (~100) at f/16 but sometimes the sun is still over-exposed. I can usually correct it post-processing (or using post-processing HDR). I like how you captured it perfectly in 1 shot.

Edit: Looking online, evidently, using Lo1.0 ISO is decreasing my dynamic range... I'll work on that next shoot. :)

No, it was shot without any filters on the lens. The haze and distant clouds are what helped to mute the sun's typical habit of blowing out a shot. There is some post correct for levels and contrast as well.

When I do intend to shoot the sun, I'll usually have a polarized filter on.

Last edited:
Back