A Picture I Took - 2011

Some pictures from playing with a Sigma 150mm f/2.8 I recently bought.

6492758865_c811f25b44_b.jpg

On Flickr

6492757077_353edf4e7e_o.jpg

On Flickr

6492753555_d53d818b84_b.jpg

On Flickr

well I am still darktiger over there and everywhere :)

24-105 best travel/walk around lens ever :)

I am PhotoDim - you've uncovered my secret identity.

I used the Canon 24-105mm f/4L.

I should have guessed you used that lens :p

One more question did you take multiple images and combine them, or is it just one image with the lens wide?

Perhaps this is just me being a n00b but I don't really see any distortion if it is one image. I thought that at 24mm you would see some distortion. Where do you usually start to notice distortions with wide angles? I know the difference between a wide angle and a fisheye, and how fisheye lens are meant to create distortion. However, I thought that wide angles also has distortion, is this only with a cheap lens?

Ok It was More then One question.

-edit

Also, Where is this building located?

I should have guessed you used that lens :p

One more question did you take multiple images and combine them, or is it just one image with the lens wide?

Perhaps this is just me being a n00b but I don't really see any distortion if it is one image. I thought that at 24mm you would see some distortion. Where do you usually start to notice distortions with wide angles? I know the difference between a wide angle and a fisheye, and how fisheye lens are meant to create distortion. However, I thought that wide angles also has distortion, is this only with a cheap lens?

Ok It was More then One question.

-edit

Also, Where is this building located?

This is the church of nations in Jerusalem. And it is several images.

My traditional living room:

I used my phone's LED flash to paint the tree with light, which left the warm cast on the room while making the tree a nice blue-green.
b-2011_12_10-christmas-6697.jpg

Ditto on the "remember the reason for the season" pic Ignore the incongruous purple/gold manger... :rolleyes: ). Gave some LED starlight to the scene.
b-2011_12_10-christmas-6686.jpg

Also had a few minutes to take light pics at Leavenworth, WA when I was up there with the family, but not too many. Didn't get much worth mentioning, but figured I'd post what might be mildly interesting...

These are pretty much unprocessed.

Needed more DOF for this one, needed to be closer to the tree, but I was on a slope and the point of view wasn't where I wanted it if I moved closer.
b-2011_12_11-leavenworth-choir-6925.jpg

Standard long exposure, F14, for really long 10 second exposure and star patterns.
b-2011_12_11-leavenworth-choir-6910.jpg

Standard long exposure, F5.0, 1.3 seconds just to see the difference:
b-2011_12_11-leavenworth-choir-6916.jpg

Playing with motion on the tripod - needed faster panning for the effect I really wanted, but couldn't quite get it. Head on the cheap tripod was like thick molasses in the cold....
b-2011_12_11-leavenworth-choir-6943.jpg

BB

I know spot color is a big faux pas, and so is HDR in some circles, but this time I did it with a HUGE smile on my face cause it was a commissioned work and I was getting paid for it! :)

IMG_8130_HDR2_v2.jpg

I know spot color is a big faux pas, and so is HDR in some circles, but this time I did it with a HUGE smile on my face cause it was a commissioned work and I was getting paid for it! :)

IMG_8130_HDR2_v2.jpg

I disagree. All techniques are on the table, it's just a matter of if it's done right.

It's a good pic. My only post processing suggestion would be some sort of noise reduction. One of the unfortunate additions to HDR... of course the other school of thought is grainyness and sharpness over smoothed, so I suppose that's also a bit of preference.

Thanks UnknownSouljer, I agree that it is a touch noisy; especially on the over-sharpened-by-google web version. Luckily it is being printed on a 24x36" canvas gallery wrap so I'm hoping any noise will be lost in the canvas texture!

Saw the clouds around the mountains on the way home today and thought it interesting enough to try for some shots.

b-2011_12_16-local-mountains-6956.jpg

b-2011_12_16-local-mountains-6960.jpg

high contrast panorama
2011_12_16-local-mountains-pano-bw-high-contrast.jpg

Original shots prior to most of the post processing, along with a few others at this link.

BB

Thanks... it was in a bar with customers around wondering wth I was doing :)

lol, that's awesome!
I've never tried IR photography with strobes. My speedlites barely put out anything in the IR spectrum. Have u lit foliage before? Do you get any of the Wood effect?

Future [H] member --- I need more internet controls.

i-GrgfKVt-L.jpg

I was actually trying out a new 70-200 f4 L IS tonight. (I accidentally won an ebay auction and now have 2... )

I was actually trying out a new 70-200 f4 L IS tonight. (I accidentally won an ebay auction and now have 2... )

How do you accidentally win an ebay auction :p lol Something sounds fishy to me, you wanted two didn't you? Just Kidding. I have my own story about this type of thing, except my droid bought an overpriced junk lens when I slipped it into my pocket with the eBay mobile app open and the seller wouldn't cancel.

How do you accidentally win an ebay auction :p lol Something sounds fishy to me, you wanted two didn't you? Just Kidding. I have my own story about this type of thing, except my droid bought an overpriced junk lens when I slipped it into my pocket with the eBay mobile app open and the seller wouldn't cancel.

I actually was selling some items and looked at what was coming up in the lens category. I made a bid thinking there was no way in hell I would win. Then, suprisingly, I did. So I got a good deal on it. It's newer than my existing one, which hopefully I can sell for closer to fair market value resulting in a nice little arbitrage action. :D

Back