A peculiar problem

I just got a p4 2.6c with hyper threading on a abit is7-e motherboard and 512 single channel ddr pc3200 ram and a 400w psu. I shoved that all into a superalien case... Anywho, I did not format my HD since my old computer farted and my floppy drive is done for (aka dell sucks they make custom ones) and i havent gotten around to getting a new floppy.... I also dont WANT to format as i will lose alot of software and music.... my problem is this: every time i turn on my computer, it gets to the windows xp screen, flashes the splashscreen of xp for about a second, then reboots.... I beleive it IS possible to do something about it without formatting.... advice?

most likely it IS b/c you didnt format the hard drive

new mobo = new software
a clean install would really help you
too bad for your music....unless you have a partitioned hard drive

Probably IDE drivers and whatnot when you do a move like that. Just do a repair of XP over your current installation. That is your best bet since you dont want to format it straight out.

If you don't want to reformat, insert your WinXP cd to boot up and do an repair install. It will retain everthing you have.

awesome, all i have to do is repair windows and i can get into windows and uninstall/install my new hardware? Or is that even necessary with xp

I'd just install a new hardrive (nice clean XP install) then slave your old hardrive to get you data across.

Just setting up an old install on a new system feels so...dirty.

awesome, that worked, everything is just as i left it, and i didnt even need drivers, thanks guys

Back