A Night Time Panorama...

Tim_axe

Gawd
This is a recent panorama that I did of my small city of Moscow, Idaho. Before I add it to my site map and make it live, I've been showing it off.

So I decided that before I finalize the page on my site I thought I'd drop it by [H] for a preview.

Click for link to Zoomify (dynamic-zooming) image (1000x11000 pixels max)

Or here for a 333x3192 JPEG image

The stats:
  • 30 vertical frames
  • ISO 400, 30 second, f/2.8 exposure
  • 200mm lens & Digital Rebel 300d
  • 68.8 megapixel final image
  • 2501x27510 full resolution (1000x11000 on web)
  • A lot of time in PS and out-of-disk/scratch-space errors

It was lots of fun to shoot waiting for the moon to fall into position to offer some very limited foreground illuminuation. I'll be redoing this panorama when winter snows come around. Should be fun if my car can make it to the site :)

Ever tried to put together mutiple different exposures of the individual pieces of a panorama to eliminate the hotspots?

o0moonman0o said:
he used photoshop.. "alot of time in PS"

SidewinderX said:
did you use canon's panorama maker to do that, or did you do it manually in photoshop?

Actually there were 2 applications involved in creating this. It was just that photoshop was the slowest and must frustrating part of it all :)

I used:
  • Hugin (Panorama Tools GUI) - Used to produce the panorama. It is similar to the commercial PTAssembler front-end, except this project is opensource and freely avaliable. (Though the maker of PTAssembler also supports Panorama Tools very well)
  • Photoshop Elements 2 - Came with my camera (one reason I selected Digital Rebel 300d over the D70 - Canon DSLR users can get some discounts on full versions of Photoshop from Adobe). Just hunt down the Earthbound Light effects filters to get layer masks, etc., as Elements supports them but doesn't have buttons to make them.

My procedure for making the panorama:
  • I imported the 30 images into Hugin, and made all of the control points to line the images up. For file-output from here, I selected Multiple-TIFF.
  • Then I imported all 30 TIFF files into Photoshop to produce an image with 30 layers. (This took a while, and it wouldn't save this due to lack of disk space - infact it crashed when I tried to save)
  • Slowly (very slowly) I made Layer Masks and tried to combine/flaten the layers without the edges becomming too dark/bright. You can see I didn't do as good of a job on the left side...I got there last...

The main reason I don't use the Canon Panorama maker (or the one in PS Elements 2) is because it produces a flattened image. I need each full layer so I can work around vingetting issues and have it join at the best area via layer masks.

Plus it is fun in the daytime to select cars from different layers to create interesting traffic situations, etc. :p

moosenuts said:
Ever tried to put together mutiple different exposures of the individual pieces of a panorama to eliminate the hotspots?

I may do that. I did a similar panorama exposed for the lights about 30 minutes prior to this one. It shouldn't be too hard to map it ontop of this panorama and combine it in Photoshop. But I don't have the time right now due to school. I'll keep it in mind though.

Thanks for the comments on my little city. I didn't grow up here, but I've been here for about 2 years now. Nice little place, despite the many controversies that develop here (and there are many). 4 more years to go until I finish college, so I'll get all of the seasons :)

Back