A new Resource for PSU info

I

Ice Czar

The folks over at silentpcreview have compiled an impressive testbed for power supplies

The core PSU test tool on SilentPCReview's test bench is the DBS-2100 load tester, made (in Taiwan by D-RAM Computer Company) specifically for testing computer power supplies. The machine consists of a large bank of high power precision resistors along with an extensive selection of switches on the front panel calibrated in Amps (current) and grouped into the 5 voltage lines: +5, +12, -12V, +3.3, -5, +5SR. Leads from the PSU connect into the front panel. It is shown above with leads from a PSU plugged in.

SPCR's Revised PSU Testing System

this is by far the most comprehensive test system Ive seen so far
(for a enthusiast site, that is published and reviews common PSUs, there are obviously OEM test labs but they arent publishing)

they have published a considerable number of reviews
and while they seem to place a high value on both the sound level and efficiency of a given PSU
(something that may not be at the top your value heirarchy, though efficiency is an important metric)
they are also publishing definitive information on actual amps and voltage stability (which has become a critical metric) and are actually listing the published transient response of the PSUs when available (something Ive always found difficult to impossible to find)

Power Supply Section Article Index

NICE.

I thought about building a power supply test jig like that and doing "proper" reviews on power supplies (ala frostytech's test jig) but I never found the time and I don't think I ever will.

Good to know someone else is doing this.

Back