a new phone line for DSL?

Gamble

n00b
im looking to get DSL working in my room. However my parents are subscribed to a telephone company (comcast) that doesnt allow for DSL and i cant get it with anyone like att, or yahoo.

I was maybe looking at activating a second line in my room or a line that can be used for DSL. I know a little about DSL. IE that the way it works is by opperating at a higher frequency range than what your phones use, i think phones are like up to 4KHZ and then the rest is for DSL up to 240KHZ (split up between dlding and uploading frequencies).

I have a few questions though because i havent done this before and im still a bit unsure about a few things. One question is, how many phone lines does DSL need to operate on. Is there any way to find out? Or can anyone link me to a site about this sorta thing? I've been to a few sights and learned a lil about setting up phone lines but they dont really talk about possibilites for using the net through them. Thanks for your time guys
Gamble

First you need to find out if you can get DSL in your area. Secondly DSL can be very expensive if you do not use the carrier as your primary phone service. Your best bet is to find something else ie. Cable :) It will be a hassle and not worth your time to try and setup seperate phone lines and such.

One more suggestion if you live in an area that is now completely locked down by your phone company...

www.speakeasy.net

They have a "Dedicated DSL" line that you can use without having a phone line for voice coms. If comcast (they do phone now? I know they do cable in my area) isn't too picky about people using their hard lines (ie speakeasy sends guys over to pull a pair of cables from your NID box), then this can work. If they're really possessive about it (Like verizon) then you may be out of luck. Just thought i'd mention

well the thing is that my neighboors are all pretty much with SBC aka pacbell and have that $26 a month unlimited dl thing going on for them and im like, damn i want some of that!! but when i went to enter my number on the net to check for availability it said my number couldnt get it or it wasnt available yet in my area. But how can that be if my neighboors have it? and people near me have it. Also there is apparently a very close exchange office to where i live. I will check out the link you gave me for the other DSL plan thnks man.
Gamble

Hmm its not available for me. If i go with cable then comcast will charge me as a new customer since im not the owner of the house and i dont pay the bills. So instead of getting there *special* rate of $42.95 a month i'll be paying $52 something a month. I also have to pay for a new key to be activated so that i can activate the comcast network. I also have to pay for a modem or lease which is an extra 3 bucks, and i have to pay for some comcast guys to come over here and do some sort of configuration that will also cost a bit.

If i go with DSL with SBC, and set up a new number i will be charged 10 bucks for the phone service, there are no activation fees for switching phone service providers. And then i would add on the price of DSL which is 26 bucks a month. Now i pay around 36 dollars a month and i have my own phone and also have DSL. That is of course if i do the phone line setup/instalation myself.

So if anyone has any tips on setting up phone lines or lines for DSL or can answer any of my original questions then please get back to me :D thanks
Gamble.

thanks anyways man.

The way phone lines used to be run to neighborhoods sometimes causes an existing line to be incapable of running DSL, but a new line connection can. This happened to me and my wife about 5 years ago. The existing line to the house, which we just had activated when we moved in, didn't support DSL. Later, when we bought a second line for our dial-up (no high speed in the neighborhood at the time), I checked it for DSL, and it was available. Checked the primary line, and still couldn't get DSL on it. I did some research at the time, because I was confused how one line supported it and another didn't. Found out that this is indeed possible, but I can't recall the details right now. Maybe someone with a better understanding of telcom and POTS stuff can explain it. In the meantime, SpeakEasy (mentioned above) is a good place to check for DSL, and their support is very helpful (I used them when I was considering one of their higher end gaming DSL lines before I decided to just go cable for now).

RagManX

Back