• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A New PC in the Making!

malhovic

n00b
Joined
Jul 9, 2014
Messages
8
First off, I want to say "Thanks Again" for all the people and resources made available at HardOCP/HardForum.

For the TL;DR, skip down two paragraphs.

I had a thread a little while back: The Phase Approach? where I was discussing what to do with my computer. I ended up purchasing the GTX1080 at that time due to issues I was seeing but kept the rest of the computer the same. Until recently, everything has been all roses and meadows of pretty flowers with the build...but as always, something decided to grenade. I started doing testing and found that any gaming that actually used my GPU would just cause the computer to flat out die and reboot (no BSOD, no MEMORY.DMP, nothing...). I ran tests against my CPU and RAM (Prime95 as well as an old install of IntelBurnTest) with no issues but when I would run Furmark it would take about 3 minutes and my computer would crash like previously stated.

I took the card out, put it in a different computer and TADA! no crashes...but the GPU from that computer (980ti) would crash as soon as you started the Furmark test. Video card ruled out, CPU ruled out as well as RAM. I said, "screw it" and decided to start digging through HardForum to see what's great out there in todays world, knowing Ryzen and Kaby Lake were close to release but wasn't sure I cared too much about that. After reading the information HardOCP has (thanks Kyle for your dedication and awesome write-ups) I was sold on the i7-6700K. Then it was time to build...so, here it is:

  • Phanteks Eclipse P400S Case
  • ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming MOBO
  • Intel i7-6700K
  • 2x16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series @ 3200
  • Seasonic PRIME 850W
  • Zalman CNPS9500A
I already have the GTX1080 that i'll be slapping into this new guy, along with 2x SSD's and 2x SSHD's so I think I've got myself a damn good build for the next few years.

So...thanks again everyone here for all the posts, the reviews...the information. It was really helpful and I appreciate all the time everyone here puts into the PC Gaming/Hardware scene.

-Malhovic

P.S. My previous build:
  • Corsair 800D (only has the 3Gb backplane...I hate you Corsair for your part discontinuation...)
  • Intel i7-3770k (Stock clocks)
  • 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws
  • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
  • Cooler Master GeminII S524
And I know the 6700K isn't going to be night and day difference to the 3770K. I plan on selling the 3770K as well as the RAM and the case to recoup some of the costs I've taken on with the new build. I mostly do work (day-to-day and finally finishing up my bachelors) from this computer as well as a healthy side of gaming to go with it, so it'll get used :)
 
As a cheaper solution, did you try putting the GPU in another PCIe slot?
 
Quartz-1 - I didn't try that; however, I've wanted to upgrade for awhile and if I'm seeing issues already I don't want to use temp fixes. Just rip and replace.
 
I'm confused as to if you've already made purchases or not, but either way, here goes!

Firstly, as to fixing your original MOBO / GPU combo; the Z77 chipset was the first to support PCI-Express 3.0, and a lot of the Z77 boards were pretty fucking flaky when running GPUs that actually support PCIe 3.0. Most of them have an option in the BIOS to limit the slot to Gen 2 (2.0) and it solves a *lot* of problems with a lot of GPUs. You might try that out before you rip your old system apart, if only to know that the board itself is fine.

On to part choice criticisms or praise-

The power supply is super overkill. It's lovely power supply, it's just way more wattage than your system will draw and very expensive. You could save $100 here most likely.

Finally, someone on this board that chooses a sensibly priced motherboard! I've never used that one, but it looks nice.

The CNPS9500A looks to be a big loser compared to something basic like a Cooler Master Hyper 212- is there a reason you chose it in particular?
 
What? Nobody suggested swapping in a different power supply? You have the classic symptoms.

Oh well, looks like you have a bad case of "newbuilditis" (as I do right now) and the only cure for that is - a new build! Get Well Soon!! :D
 
Back
Top