A new house needs some help

Elbaryn84

n00b
Hey everybody, I've got a little problem I hope this community can help me out with.

I'm getting a new townhouse built and with it means full CAT6 wiring in the walls to all the floors using a panel in the garage of the main floor. Down there is where verizon is going to run their cables which will connect to the rest of the house. What am I going to need to get my house wireless and game enabled? I know I'm going to need the cable modem for the internet (please advise on which one) and at least a wireless router or access point (please give me a recommendation on type and model).

I had a special outlet/CAT6 outlet put in on the middle floor of the townhouse so I can have wireless broadcast to the rest of the house. Is there anything else I could be overlooking? I want to install Nests (2 zone home) and have google home automate some of the lights in the house using Hue.

Thanks everyone!

If you have multiple levels or a larger home, the Google Wifi mesh router is getting good reviews. It's pretty simplistic, but should handle basic network duty and provide good coverage.

In terms of modem, it depends on your service speed. An Arris surfboard Docsis 3.0 is a solid choice, but there are a few different types. The 32 lane one is the top and would not limit you in the mid term.

Is this verizon fios internet or DLS? I'm not really familiar with Verizon providing anything but those two options. If Fios, I would assume they provide the boarder device (modem). If DLS amazon has a bunch of highly reviewed options.

You're absolutely going to need a switch. Most routers only have 4 LAN ports and I assume you're getting more than 4 Cat6 runs. As far as wireless and game ready. Since everything including internet comes back to the garage, you're not going to want wireless broadcasting out of there, that is unless you're townhouse is more compact than I'm envisioning.

So two routes you can go

1- Place a wireless router in an open central location of your townhouse and use the cat6 runs to loop it back to the garage where the switch and modem will be.
---This method is assuming that each run was done in pairs (two jacks per wall plate). If not, then see option 2
--- You would put a switch in the garage with the modem.
---You would use one of the two cat6 runs to connect the modem to the wireless router.
---You will use the second pair to connect the router to the switch.
Eample: If you have run 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8. Which each of them in pairs. Port 1 in the garage will go to the modem, port 1 in the house will go to the routers WAN port. Port 2 in the gaarage will go to the switch and Port 2 in the house will go to the Router's LAN ports.

2- Get a basic router for the garage and dedicated access points for wireless
---In the garage you would have your Verizon modem connected to your router, the switch connected to the router and all of the cat6 runs plugged into the switch
--- Plug an AP into any port in the house and configure it for wireless

I like option 2.

Thanks for the replies!

Chedwick, it is fios and what I learned is I do have to use their provided router due to the fact that it uses MoCa.

So my current plan is this: I'm going to use the Verizon provided router but shut off the wireless portion of it basically turning it into a modem. it'll then run to a switch which will provide wired access to the rest of the home. I will then install another slave router which I will configure into an access point on the main level of the home. This is why I had them install an outlet and a wired drop as close to the ceiling as I could get on the second level of the home, so I could install an access point with enough signal strength to hit the whole home.

Now I'm looking around at routers and I'm not sure which one is going to have the necessary signal strength, any ideas?

You do not need to use moca... fios will provide you an ont which the fiber comes in. from there you should be able to use your own router. Get a decent 16 or 24 port gig switch. trend net makes good cheap stuff. also I would look at doing 2 aps that are poe based. super clean and be mounted on the ceiling or walls and get there power using ethernet.

Back