A network called 'Internet'

i came into this computer field too late to remember the beginning of 'internet'. that was fun to watch though, thanks for posting it.

You really didn't miss all that much except long waits. My first rig was a Tandy with a 1200 baud modem and spent lots of time looking for a BBS or two. Downloading images was something you did when you had something else to do that day:p It is a nostalgic time looking back, but the next installment of the interweb was the "wild, wild west" period which was the most fun for me. Being in on the front end of a new thing is a great feeling....kinda like being a pioneer....and just like the pioneers didn't have much in the amenity area....like bathrooms :D

oh the good ol days I came in alittle later. I had AOL :eek: 10 hours a month, 14.4modem and a 486. It used to take at least an hour to get past all the busy signals.

wow, i came into computers a bit to late to remember that also, but I did come into them in the time of AOL 3.0, the first version with modern style Instant Messageing :eek:

I also was first coming into it in a time where Napster and other things like that were flourshing.

Those where the days. The days of a somewhat mature, yet unregulated internet. :)

i remember quite awhile ago (3+ years) when i was on a gateway country demo computer and I saw someoen had installed napster on it, this was a year or so before the lawsuits got big.

I had AOl 1.0 (or maybe it was 1.5) for ms-dos, and a 1200 modem. Couldnt use my mouse cause the com port died whenever the modem was active, had to use the tab key to get around. Didnt have HTTP though, just email, usergroups, chat rooms, IM

Originally posted by MajorDomo
It is a nostalgic time looking back, but the next installment of the interweb was the "wild, wild west" period which was the most fun for me. Being in on the front end of a new thing is a great feeling....kinda like being a pioneer....and just like the pioneers didn't have much in the amenity area....like bathrooms :D
yup, that was fun...I came in at the later half of that period.

Originally posted by MajorDomo
You really didn't miss all that much except long waits. My first rig was a Tandy with a 1200 baud modem and spent lots of time looking for a BBS or two. Downloading images was something you did when you had something else to do that day:p It is a nostalgic time looking back, but the next installment of the interweb was the "wild, wild west" period which was the most fun for me. Being in on the front end of a new thing is a great feeling....kinda like being a pioneer....and just like the pioneers didn't have much in the amenity area....like bathrooms :D

I loved that period. I remember upgrading from 300 baud to 2400 baud--I thought I was the God of Speed when I got that modem (1987 I think). At the same time I picked up a 10 mb hard drive and had my Atari 512ST upgraded from 512K to a full 1024K of memory. Had a nice little BBS going until I realized that keeping it going involved actual work. Fun times. Todays warezmonkeys have no idea.

i wasn't around for the beginnings of this "internet," but i DO remember playing british legends (old MUD) on a 486 with a 14.4 modem on Compuserve for dos. in those days, compuserve was text based :D

I got the internet back in... 1997 I think. On my old Pentium 1 with Windows 95 and a 56k modem. Then in summer 2001 I got high speed DSL (about 1mbps), then I got this computer in November 2001. Then I think it was last summer (2003) I got cable modem (upwards of 3mbps).

I remember logging on to Prodigy with my 2400. I remember the first picture of a chick I downloaded too :) I felt so rebelious. She wasnt even naked.

while i was a youngster (kindergarden, actually), i do vaugley remember the old trash-80s. our school had 4 of em. damn those things were fun

when i was in 4th grade, my teacher showed us "The internet". this was on a mac PowerPC (remember those?) i forget how fast... it wasnt a bad machine at the time. anyway, she had it on the monitor and tried to open a page and the class sat there for 10 minutes waiting.

i said "this sucks."

Jeez...I feel old too...I remember my parents bringing home this shiny IBM PS/1. It would have been about 1991. It had to have like only 20 megabytes of a hard drive. It could get on the internet though. Don't remember much about it. I do vaguely remember some of the old games I'd play - they were with graphics, and I think from Prodigy? Very simple stuff. I think it involved like a maze in a castle or something.

Originally posted by LstOfTheBrunnenG
Jeez...I feel old too...I remember my parents bringing home this shiny IBM PS/1. It would have been about 1991. It had to have like only 20 megabytes of a hard drive.
I have one of those! It's up in my attic, lol. It's funny because it cost like $2000 when bought.

Good stuff. I still remember the first time I dialed up to the Internet, back around 1995 with my shiny new Pentium 90 and a 9600 baud modem. It was neat to be able to see pictures for once, as before that I was using my Commodore 128 with a 300 baud modem to dial up to local BBS's.

Great post. Need that to put things into perspective everyone once in a while.

Originally posted by StrandgecK
I had AOl 1.0 (or maybe it was 1.5) for ms-dos, and a 1200 modem. Couldnt use my mouse cause the com port died whenever the modem was active, had to use the tab key to get around. Didnt have HTTP though, just email, usergroups, chat rooms, IM

Awe man, you got to post about AOL for DOS before I did. But at least I started out with a 2400 baud modem. :D

Being that I started getting serious with computers about 4 years ago, watching that video is kind of depressing.

This is the first computer I ever had... My grandfather worked at IBM back in the day, so we got stuff like this for (relatively) cheap.

Man, that thing was great. I remember waiting 5 minutes for it to boot up before it could play incredibly basic ASCII art games. :p I think I still have it in the basement...

Hell, for a while, my brother and I had our own computer in our room.. an IBM PC Jr. That was pretty much unheard of... having multiple computers in your house... much less having one.

I think our first modem was a 4800 baud. We had free internet access through the University of Maryland since both of my parents were teachers (some sort of teacher deal). Anyway, I remember thinking how boring it was just trying to find stuff. Not much of interest was out there for a 10 year old at that point.

Damn, now I feel old...

heh, I've seen that video before. VERY cool. I wish I had been born maybe 10 years earlier.

I did have a Commodore Vic 20 as a kid. Anyone remember those? I remember playing Adventure Land on it, saving my progress to regular old audio tapes.

Well after it died, it was a while before I got a new machine. Then my dad finally caved and we got an Open Box special at Incredible Universe (bought by Tandy and became a Fry's). It was an AST Advantage 824: Pentium 133, 16 megs of RAM, 1.6 gig HD, FULL-DUPLEX sound and a blazing fast 28.8 modem. Loaded up AOL 2 on it and begged my parents for an hour here and there. hehe

I do have a PS/1 and a TRS-80, but those have been fairly recent additions to my collection.

Kids these days are spoiled.

I got in on the whole new-fangled internet thing around 1996- I'm still a youngster to most of you guys. But I'll never forget what it was like then, I think I got in on it at just the right time, past the text-based stuff (although I did used to have a 386 before that that was all DOS) but before this mess we call the internet. I miss being able to surf the web and see *no* ads and *no* popups (hell, popups weren't even thought of yet). Back before the internet really got, well, I guess you could say, "commercialized". I miss those days more than anything, but then again, one always misses the days of discovery and learning of something new, before you've grown used to it.

This really brings back memories. I'm a youngin' compared to some of you, but I remember using AOL back in the '94 to '95 range. I ran a super cool Wolverine tribute page on my AOL account. I think I was first really impressed by the internet in '97 when I discovered mp3s. It was such a shock that it was possible to get cool stuff off of the interweb. But my true love didn't begin until 2000 when I finally got a good computer (P3 500 Katmai baby!), which is actually still running. Up until this I had been using a P200 or P90.

Anybody remember trumpet winsock and SLIP? When netscape was king.. (IE? IE what? win3.1 had no browser....)

and... paying 90 dollars a month for DIAL-UP? wowza...

before internet.... BBB's ruled the world...

i know it isn't the internet, but it is an internetwork and many of you here know what i'm talking about!

when i was 3 years old and up (i am 19 now), my dad took me to his workplace where he would log onto an IBM mainframe in florida (we live in pennsylvania) and do his work through a dumb terminal. i remember it had a green screen... his building had a few phone lines and that's how they transferred the stuff.

nowadays (ever since about 1998?) they route their ISA stuff through a cisco 2500 over a frame line, i think it is a fractional t1 (small office), as well as having all other normal functions of the internet.

as far as connectivity at home, dad bought a VIC 20 before i was born... we still have it, but i've never used it. in 1985 or 1986, he bought an

amiga 1000

....think that i have the coolest first computer here, thusfar ;)...

he used it to dial into the mainframe in florida and do some stuff.... i don't know the speed of that modem, i was only about 4 when i remember him doing it... all i remember is the modem was loud, and i didn't like it.

interestingly, though.... we actually had a teletype machine in our basement- to access that florida mainframe- for a number of years that he used VERY infrequently when i was young, but apparently used it a lot before i was born.

then in about 1993, we got the computer who's specs are posted in my signature.

in 6th (1996) grade, my gifted class got the internet from a local dial-up ISP, so only 2 computers in the building could connect to it.... it crawled along at 14.4...

then we got the internet at home the winter of that same year through another local ISP... man it was slow, but i didn't even notice it.... at first, we connected through my dad's laptop with a 14.4 modem... a 486 with 12 MB ram

in 1998, we bought a new computer (PII, 300 mhz) with a 56 K modem... but the ISP was still running at 14.4!! i'd be playing tom clany's rainbow 6 at 14.4, and i learned very quickly what "lag" was... i'd be running alongside my team, and then i'd stop, but they'd keep running... and then i'd be caught up with them... it was rough...

then in about a month, the ISP upgraded their equipment...

the following year, we got cable internet... and computer games became life...lol...

and now i am boring, more interested in how the stuff works than the game itself... i used to spend hours playing games... now i spend hours trying to get linux to do exactly what i want it to

:mad:

...oddly enough, i enjoy that.. :confused:

edit: oh, yeah! good memory! win 3.1 DID have no browser! dad spent about 6 hours downloading IE through FTP onto his laptop when we first got the internet.

Back