A mystery I need solving

Tsuyashu

Limp Gawd
I am not quite sure who is the culprit but yesterday while I was gaming on my PC, my screen freezes. The restart button won't work and I had to hold down the power button. I try opening the computer again and I believe it does open but my monitor is not showing windows and is just flickering in a black screen with flashes of white(With check signal message).

My monitor is a Syncmaster 245BW 24in and my video card is a BFG 8800GTS 320mb, I wasn't quite sure how I should do this. Any suggesstions?
I was thinking of grabbing another monitor and hooking it up to my main, to see if it worked, if it worked then my monitor would be the problem? and if it didn't work then it would mean my video card might be the problem?

EDIT: Er...I removed the cable leading to the video card and had the monitor just plugged in by itself and it's still flashing, I am assuming it is the monitor then?

Last edited:
Your video card is dead. Or maybe your motherboard. Or possibly your RAM. But it's not your monitor.

Well if you can get another monitor, or an LCD tv or something to hook it up to you can try it and see.
If your monitor is doing it itself then your monitor may be dead which I've actually never ever seen happen naturally.

Does your monitor have multiple ports? Because I used to have a Spectre 22" and after a few months the DVI port blew out. It would get a signal but flicker and cut in and out randomly. After I hooked it up with VGA then the monitor was at least usable. Might be worth a shot.

It wouldnt hurt to open the video card and reapply the paste, and clean the dust.

Update: Stupid me, dragged the other monitor upstairs to find out it was only analog. Then I decided to bring my monitor in question downstairs and plugged it into my other computer with an analog cable. I booted my system up and viola I see stuff visible on screen. BUT the difference is that it still flashes and I can at least see my desktop. So I assume that this means its my monitor that has a problem?
I can't prove that my video card is at fault since I don't have another monitor with a digital port so I don't know. Should I send my monitor for a repair or something?

No it did not. My original card was a 7900 GT and it died, I sent it back for a new card and got this card back.

Okay, so I got on the phone with CS of Samsungs and tried to get an replacement. Sadly the guy I was talking to, said they didn't have any inventory on the monitor model(I smell BS). He told me to send it for repairs and gave me an address to this place called "Far East Service Corp." in Carlstadt NJ. Has anyone used their services before? and can give me a sum up of how well they repair things?

Your LCD went EOL almost one year ago. So sending it in for repair is the only to solve your problem.

Back