A more powerful Micro ATX?

Joined
Jan 13, 2008
Messages
2
Well, I bought a Gateway. I could have built a PC myself, but instead this time, I went out and bought one because it had some good specs for the money (way cheaper then list price). http://www.gateway.com/retail/gm5472.php
I upgraded the ram, added a second hard drive, and put another DVD RW in there.
No Graphics card, but it has a PCI-E 16x ready and waiting.

And then there was the PSU. Little did I even know that it was a Micro ATX. Since the system is huge, and has plenty of space, I didn't even realize it was a small mb inside. Gateway, in their infinite wisdom, decided to put a 300watt in there. I think I even need to pull out one of the DVDRW's

Still, I have my heart set on a Radeon 3850, the 512mb version. A nice Sapphire that will probably raise the temp to 180 F, but the system is extremely cool since adding a third fan. Noticing that the specs want a 450watt PSU (probably overkill with a GOOD PSU) I'll need a heavy MATX PSU. So the question arises: Where do I find a good Micro ATX PSU? There's only one place I have found that sells anything over a 450Watt with the PCIE connections: http://www.directron.com/m7480dmmicro.html

It looks fine, but is this my only option? Anyone know of a good MATX PSU? Or am I missing something, and will never be able to plug a good PCI-E graphics card in there? Mayhaps I can plug an ATX into the MB anyway? (wishful thinking)
 
What makes you think you need a Micro ATX power supply? What are the dimensions of the power supply currently in the case?
 
SO, yes. It does fit a regular ATX, as long as the pins are compatible. The dimension are the same as a regular ATX.

Thanks for answering a question that Gateway couldn't. (they gave me 2 wrong and questionable answers before they finally said yes this morning)... should have come here long ago.
 
Back
Top