A look at what you'd need to run UT2K7?

ScotteusMaximus

Limp Gawd
got this from an article linked on the front page. seems as if the demos that epic has been showing off recently were running on QUAD-SLI setups. i have no doubt that they'll fine tune things a lot more before the game ships, and they're probably using the extra horsepower to show the game in the best possible light, but hot damn, those are some monstrous specs to run the game to its fullest potential. full article here

As UT2K7 is just about the best-looking game on the horizon, we couldn't help but wonder about its potentially ominous system requirements. Our plans to stave off another PC upgrade weren't emboldened much by Morris' admission that the onstage demo was running on a quad-SLI setup, either. (Yes, that's four GeForce 7800 GTXs running in a single system.) But luckily, the game will purportedly run well on reasonably powerful, middle-of-the-road hardware at the time of its release, so you likely won't have to break the bank to be able to compete. Of course, the game will have extensive graphics-customization options, so you can tweak settings to get more performance in a tradeoff for visual quality.

Of course by the time the game actually comes out there will probablly be a video card that is as fast as quad 7800GTXs are at least close in a single solution. Not even including just standard SLI

UltimaParadox said:
Of course by the time the game actually comes out there will probablly be a video card that is as fast as quad 7800GTXs are at least close in a single solution. Not even including just standard SLI

I hope so. Quad SLI, I don't think so. :eek:

UT / Epic has always been great at releasing their games ot look awsome on the best hardware, as well as mid range stuff.

with the game support multi core CPU's as well, that will be a nice boost, and the fact they got it working / running on QUAD SLI - is a nice sign.

Its rumored that the scripted demo that ran @ GeForce Lan 2 was 10x7 on sli'd GTX, it was running pretty smoothly but the night time map could of been big help. The first introduction of nvidia's SLI showd the then Unreal Engine 3 demo running between 30-40 fps on sli'd 6800U, about a 60 % boost over a single Ultra at the time. So maybe sli'd 8800GTX's is where its at for this game.

kuyaglen said:
Its rumored that the scripted demo that ran @ GeForce Lan 2 was 10x7 on sli'd GTX, it was running pretty smoothly but the night time map could of been big help. The first introduction of nvidia's SLI showd the then Unreal Engine 3 demo running between 30-40 fps on sli'd 6800U, about a 60 % boost over a single Ultra at the time. So maybe sli'd 8800GTX's is where its at for this game.
yeah, i remember reading that too. the demos probably got away with less since there wasn't any real AI or anything built in yet.

your comment also sort of reminded me of when Q3 was still being developed. PC gamer had a big feature on it, and john carmack was saying how the voodoo 2 was the preferred card. then it was the TNT2. then it was the geforce, geforce 2, and so on. doom 3 was sort of the same thing, where the hardware that id said would run it well ended up being the bare minimum that was required for the final product.

when UT2K7 drops, the equivalent of quad-SLI will probably be the minimum required to play with at least some of the eye candy turned on.

I think this will be the game I upgrade for. I have UT'd since UT2003. What time frame are we looking at for UT2K7's release?

I'm not worried about the sys reqs. Epic does a fine job of making their engines perform well on low res cards...my Radeon 9200 used to make UT2K4 look halfway decent @ 1024. :D I figure my X700 will do the same now (maybe 800x600 in this case).

i would think midrange cards would be

6800GT+
x700+ cards

6600 and x1300 and such would be low end, maybe 1024x768 with no extra's and u can play it - large maps prob have some issues online with lots of players.

movax said:
I'm not worried about the sys reqs. Epic does a fine job of making their engines perform well on low res cards...my Radeon 9200 used to make UT2K4 look halfway decent @ 1024. :D I figure my X700 will do the same now (maybe 800x600 in this case).

True. They also scale up well, though, so I hope I can afford a new computer before it hits. (My 9800 isn't exactly new anymore.)

I have full faith in them. Epic always releases the best, most otpmized engines possible :D And there is no way in hell i'm upgrading AGAIN to play this game LOL

What kind of CPU would it take to run 4 high end GPUs?!?!

I don't know much about SLi, but does the CPU handle the distribution of the frames amoung the cards, or do the GPUs themselves handle that?

Json23 said:
What kind of CPU would it take to run 4 high end GPUs?!?!

I don't know much about SLi, but does the CPU handle the distribution of the frames amoung the cards, or do the GPUs themselves handle that?

CPU handles things like AI, physics etc...

the GPU makes everything look pretty :D

Well with my 3200venice w/GTX I'm hopefull I can run 12x10 native w/medium settings @ 60 w/vsync.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
CPU handles things like AI, physics etc...

the GPU makes everything look pretty :D

I think what he means is the quad SLI setup needs to have a decent enough CPU behind it for the info to actually get to the cards in the first place...if not, its kind of like having an ATI X1900-XT or whatever coupled to a P3...the CPU becomes the majot bottleneck as it cant supply data to the GPU fast enough for it to be effective...

I dont know enough about SLI and how it works to tell you if the CPU takes on some (or how much) load to calculate and distribute data between the GPUs...but I am sure someone more clued up than myself will be able to fill you in on that...

Asian Dub Foundation said:
at least i have the multithread capability all ready to go

Heh. I could theoretically chuck in another socket 604 - P4, but I'm fairly sure the money would be better spent on a new MB, CPU and a PCIe graphics card. :)

(Or ... I wonder. I've got a 2.8GHz P4 xeon and a radeon 9800. If it's well and truly multithreaded, another CPU might actually help a bit. Maybe I've finally got a decent excuse to get one. :D )

ScotteusMaximus said:
seems as if the demos that epic has been showing off recently were running on QUAD-SLI setups.

Seems like SLI/Crossfile is a godsend for developers looking to push the envelope.

aldamon said:
Seems like SLI/Crossfile is a godsend for developers looking to push the envelope.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't charge $600 per card...they should have a deal if you go SLi/Crossfire. Like, the main card is the retail price ( say $600 ) and the 2nd one is around 300. IDK, SLi/Crossfire seems like a total rip if you ask me.

^^ why should you pay less for the exact same card more or less ?

for some SLI isnt the way to go, but if your sporting a 24" or 30" LCD and want to run your games @ a native res with some nice looks - no SLI / CF is not a rip off. BUt anyways, a million "sli is a rip off threads" already around here.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't charge $600 per card...they should have a deal if you go SLi/Crossfire. Like, the main card is the retail price ( say $600 ) and the 2nd one is around 300. IDK, SLi/Crossfire seems like a total rip if you ask me.

Yeah, its kinda great that the developers can use SLI etc to do stuff and then see it realtime...but for the general public its a bit expensive and not everyone can spend over £800 on just video cards to make their games look good...

The other thing is reduces the need for developers to do things efficiently...why try and eek out performance from lesser setups when an SLI rig will just eat it up and not break a sweat?? Leads to a degree of laziness (not saying epic will do this as I know their engines are generally pretty tight).

Syphon Filter said:
Yeah, its kinda great that the developers can use SLI etc to do stuff and then see it realtime...but for the general public its a bit expensive and not everyone can spend over £800 on just video cards to make their games look good...

The other thing is reduces the need for developers to do things efficiently...why try and eek out performance from lesser setups when an SLI rig will just eat it up and not break a sweat?? Leads to a degree of laziness (not saying epic will do this as I know their engines are generally pretty tight).

Exactly. Many developers are getting wayyyy to lazy :rolleyes: All of the games i'm looking forward to are coming from good developers though, so we'll see how those turn out.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
I'm hoping for mostly high and maybe some AA

Its coming out this year right?

Yes, I beleive its releasing in the 2nd half of the year. I can't wait, im planning on building a new system anyway, all the more reason! WOO!

I hope a 9800 pro is mid-range :p

I managed to play UT2004 on max settings with it.

I don't think SLI setups are going to make developer's lazy, I think it just allows them to test and play their game at reasonable settings during development. I mean, some games see 3 or 4 generations of cards during development, so when the team starts they might need SLI setups to actually run their games since they're developing a next generation graphics engine but by release the game will run on a single high-end card. I mean UT2007 started on 6800 Ultras in SLI, is running on SLI'ed 7800's right now, and probably won't come out before the 8800's are released.

ManCannon said:
I don't think SLI setups are going to make developer's lazy, I think it just allows them to test and play their game at reasonable settings during development. I mean, some games see 3 or 4 generations of cards during development, so when the team starts they might need SLI setups to actually run their games since they're developing a next generation graphics engine but by release the game will run on a single high-end card. I mean UT2007 started on 6800 Ultras in SLI, is running on SLI'ed 7800's right now, and probably won't come out before the 8800's are released.

Certainly not all developers...I think epic is a good example, UT2004 is pretty god damn tight if you ask me. I know a few mates who play it on various setups and it runs and looks comparable on all of them...even though the machines are of varying ages and spec. Epic take time to make sure their engine is scalable which is a great thing for the consumer. But there will be developers who basically would rather just brute force things (due to the processing power available) rather than make their code efficient and "tight" as I like to call it.

Its just down to whether the devs are lazy, pushed for time, incapable etc...there are a variety of reasons, but none of them are good.

TheCommander said:
What is crossfile?

Its "Crossfire"

Its ATI's answer to SLI...doesnt quite work the same way though i dont think as you need what they call a "master" card. I hear its been rushed and not very good just yet...but I assume it will get better...

Jasonx82 said:
Anyone know a ETA for Ut2007? :confused:

I think it I read at gamespot or someplace that they''ll release the benchmark first so the gfx card co's can make the necessary driver adjustments etc.,etc. So when we hear about the UT2007 benchmark being released, maybe a month or two after we'll see the game, hopefully. Can't wait to see what the mod community does with this game. :)

Bean said:
I think it I read at gamespot or someplace that they''ll release the benchmark first so the gfx card co's can make the necessary driver adjustments etc.,etc. So when we hear about the UT2007 benchmark being released, maybe a month or two after we'll see the game, hopefully. Can't wait to see what the mod community does with this game. :)

Can you imagine Frag-Ops 2? By far the best mod i've played....the community was small but friggin' awesome. I miss that game :(

I am hoping I can play this game with my current sig pc @,

1280x1024 resolution
medium details
atleast 2xaa

and get 45fps if not I'll just upgrade to something like

My Dream Machine (at the moment)
Dell 3007 Monitor.
AMD64 FX60 O'c to 3.0GHZ
Asus/Sapphire Motherboard with ATi's new RD580 Chipset.
X1900 Crossfire
Corsair 2GB Xpert Ram
Thermaltake Purepower 600watt
1xRaptor X with window for OS
3x Maxtor DiamondMax 11 500GB HD's for Games,Movies,Backup (yes alot of game saves, mods and Pr0n etc etc)

or better.

Back