A look at Nehalem actual crunching numbers

nomad8u

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2008
Both F@H and WCG numbers on an ES Nehalem. Something to drool over and think about for future upgrades.

I thought it was interesting to see some "relevant" real world numbers that pertain to us. 5000ppd running dual SMP on 2653's and almost 7200ppd with an SMP client and GPU with a 9600GSO with only 63% CPU usage.

An interesting look at the future for crunching no? Enjoy.

Where those Windows SMP clients? Just wondering cause my stock clocked Q6600 does about 4400 points a day running NotFred's.

That would be crazy .... 6 GPU's in one system.
You would have to have a huge power supply & good cooling to pull that off.
I am sure Tiger has already made plans ......

Although solutions that allow for dual slot cards are better. Since most of the dual slot cards exhaust out. You can get the same number of cores using 9800GX2s and much better cooling since at least some of the heat from the cards is being exhausted out the back instead of recirculated in the case.

Although solutions that allow for dual slot cards are better. Since most of the dual slot cards exhaust out. You can get the same number of cores using 9800GX2s and much better cooling since at least some of the heat from the cards is being exhausted out the back instead of recirculated in the case.

You can fit 6 9800GX2s with thin water blocks and by cutting off half of the metal bracket.

Now that would be something to drool over!:p

That would be crazy .... 6 GPU's in one system.
You would have to have a huge power supply & good cooling to pull that off.
I am sure Tiger has already made plans ......

This is nothing new.

Tiger had 8 (4x 9800GX2s)

I have a box that has 4 soon to be 6 cores (3x 9800GX2)

@ssman has an army of boxen with a similar config.

Also to the OP

Those are some nice numbers, however the cost for the ppd that your going to get out of it is no where close to a 8800GS or the like.

If it is your main rig go for it. I'd never build a folding rig out of it. Heck my average folding rig has a E2140 in it, with a GPU or 2 in it.

Thanks for that look nomad. I for one am excited. Hopefully Intel will continue to produce processors with a high performance to price ratio. Given, it will take some time for these prices to come down to Core 2 levels, but I for one am looking forward to that.

What is happening with the Core 2 processors now? I still haven't gotten the cash together to pick up a Q6600. I guess there will be a few of those used coming out once people move to nahalem.

Thanks for that look nomad. I for one am excited. Hopefully Intel will continue to produce processors with a high performance to price ratio. Given, it will take some time for these prices to come down to Core 2 levels, but I for one am looking forward to that.

What is happening with the Core 2 processors now? I still haven't gotten the cash together to pick up a Q6600. I guess there will be a few of those used coming out once people move to nahalem.

I'd expect a flood of them in next couple months. Save your pennies now. ;)

Thanks brother nomad8u for the link. :D

That is one impressive CPU, like brother Kendrak said "Save your pennies now". ;)

Talk about "drool city", I think I hear flood alarms going off. :p

Folding and WCGing for a CURE

My view is that while the numbers looks nice, it's not the best value for a folding box. It can be build as your main box but not much more.

The best bang for the buck is still a Q6600 and 8800GS/9600GSO in terms of points vs cost.

Hugh_Freak said:
Where those Windows SMP clients? Just wondering cause my stock clocked Q6600 does about 4400 points a day running NotFred's.

Yes, it looks like he was running all XP64 for all testing. I didn't think those numbers were fantastic at all but it was interesting to see a new processor with some "real world" first look DC'n.

What wasn't stated for the F@H testing was whether it was run with HT on or off. If off it was 4 cores. If on, 8 cores. I'm going on the assumption from the way I read that post that it was being run at around 3.7 GHZ for that testing looking at the WCG benchmarks just prior to the F@H test.

Kendrak said:
Those are some nice numbers, however the cost for the ppd that your going to get out of it is no where close to a 8800GS or the like.

I'm in agreement there. Early adopters will pay a premium for this for sure. But just like the cost of the NV GPU's they will certainly come down a bit over time.

Kendrak said:
If it is your main rig go for it. I'd never build a folding rig out of it.

Actually, I don't think it will be a huge boost for a daily driver from what I see so far. Not to justify the cost difference. But with some tweaking I think it'll make a great cruncher with a potential for 25-35% output boost over the current generation of processors. Number intensive apps seem to be what this is built for IMO.

While the GPU clients are the current King of the Jungle right now, let's not forget GPU1. Who know's what the landscape will look like in 18-24 months.

Wheresatom said:
Hopefully Intel will continue to produce processors with a high performance to price ratio. Given, it will take some time for these prices to come down to Core 2 levels, but I for one am looking forward to that.

I wonder how not having enough competition from AMD is going to affect pricing going forward. I'd like to see a bit more competition on that front for sure.

Not realy interested ATM.
I'm quite happy with my dual Harpertown's at 3.4 Ghz.
Now if you could get a nice overclockable dual CPU MoBo that will take tha generation CPU, thats a different story ...... :p

I wonder what the power draw of that folding combo.
How about Nehalem + Asus P6T6-WS (http://www.techpowerup.com/img/08-10-10/31a.jpg) + 6 8800GS.

Now *THAT* is a folding machine.
Will the bios have enough room to start 6 vid cards ??
Plus Fasra is a better one.
If you build one, you can just drop a 45 watt Brisbane in, instead of the Phenom for a true low power folder.

Luck ............ :D

Holy shit, that's 2.5 times as fast as my Q9550 at 3.8GHz (albeit this machine is only running one SMP client).

Both F@H and WCG numbers on an ES Nehalem. Something to drool over and think about for future upgrades.

I thought it was interesting to see some "relevant" real world numbers that pertain to us. 5000ppd running dual SMP on 2653's and almost 7200ppd with an SMP client and GPU with a 9600GSO with only 63% CPU usage.

An interesting look at the future for crunching no? Enjoy.

and one nvidia card will probably still outproduce it, who really cares about CPU's for folding? not even vijay does soooo? :confused:

and one nvidia card will probably still outproduce it, who really cares about CPU's for folding? not even vijay does soooo? :confused:

The new WU just got let loose into the wild.

There will be nashing of teeth in the NV folding fan boys camp.

Well, it's always better to have a CPU and a GPU folding rather than just a GPU. The CPU may not have as much output, but it's still something.

Not to get TOO far OT, but,

Heck my average folding rig has a E2140 in it, with a GPU or 2 in it.
That's what I'm currently running, and found that adding the second 9600gso required me to stop the SMP client to be able to use the machine for anything else (household machine, not dedicated folder) - this your experience as well?

The best bang for the buck is still a Q6600 and 8800GS/9600GSO in terms of points vs cost.
Is the extra $$$ for the quad worth it? I've been toying with upping my CPU to a q6600 eventually (or when I burn up my current CPU), but wasn't sure if it was worth it. That $100+ would really help towards a second (and dedicated) rig, after all...

That's what I'm currently running, and found that adding the second 9600gso required me to stop the SMP client to be able to use the machine for anything else (household machine, not dedicated folder) - this your experience as well?

Is the extra $$$ for the quad worth it? I've been toying with upping my CPU to a q6600 eventually (or when I burn up my current CPU), but wasn't sure if it was worth it. That $100+ would really help towards a second (and dedicated) rig, after all...

My opinion is to never put all the eggs in the same basket and have a variety of clients running so even if something happen to one of the clients, th rest is ok. A Q6600 will let you run SMP+GPU (or 2 GPU) without problems.

I have not been running a SMP client for about a month now. I've taken the power that I saved from shutting down my SMP boxen and moving that into GPU client.

As Xil said there is some risk to this. With the new WU that just came out I've gone from 45k ppd to about 38k (and possibly lower)

I'm looking into getting some ATI cards here. I was going to take a hard look at the 4850X2 but the mark up on that card is crazy (should be a $300-350 card but they want $430 for it :eek:)

My main rig might end up with 2 standard 4850s here before too long. First step is getting a Xfire mobo..... just placed the order.

Glad someone saw this, I was just about to post it. If you guys want to see any other benchmarks LMK, the original poster of that thread "MovieMan" is a close friend.

I crunch WCG for XS, my Nehalem should be finished next week. (Just waiting on the parts to arrive)

Glad someone saw this, I was just about to post it. If you guys want to see any other benchmarks LMK, the original poster of that thread "MovieMan" is a close friend.

I crunch WCG for XS, my Nehalem should be finished next week. (Just waiting on the parts to arrive)

Hey Wes.. glad you dropped by. I swing by the XS WCG forums occasionally as the WCG traffic here is kind of slow. I saw MM's benches and found them interesting so I started the thread. It was awesome to see both some WCG and F@H benchies.

From my standpoint, it would be nice to see some power figures for idle/crunching load with both WCG and F@H if either you or MM have a KillAWatt. For F@H both with and without the GPU crunching. What can I say... I'm always looking at reducing the power bill and PPD/watt efficiency... :D Not a biggie but it'd be cool.

Congrats on the new toy!

Hey Wes.. glad you dropped by. I swing by the XS WCG forums occasionally as the WCG traffic here is kind of slow. I saw MM's benches and found them interesting so I started the thread. It was awesome to see both some WCG and F@H benchies.

From my standpoint, it would be nice to see some power figures for idle/crunching load with both WCG and F@H if either you or MM have a KillAWatt. For F@H both with and without the GPU crunching. What can I say... I'm always looking at reducing the power bill and PPD/watt efficiency... :D Not a biggie but it'd be cool.

Congrats on the new toy!

I'll see what I can do. Not sure if MM has a KillAWatt or not. My UPS shows wattage, so i can get the numbers if he can't.

With how hot they run they have to be eating a bunch of power.

Back