A little vent about a transaction

IdentityCrisis

Limp Gawd
I listed my BNIB 5600x for sale at $10 over MSRP, a member messaged me and we agreed at a price that would net me the cost of the CPU only. I check his feedback, and its small but all positive, no issue there. He initially told me he was away for the next two weeks.

He requested an invoice which I gladly did (should have read the terms on this) and sent the invoice. It took more fees out than I expected, and I look up the listed address and it appears to be a company that forwards US made purchases overseas.

I was not OK with either of these things and messaged the user about it. They didn't confirm or deny shipping overseas nor what the business was. So I told them I was going to refund and they're OK with it.

Well paypal took the fees out of my paypal balance to refund the money. My bad, I didn't read the paypal terms, lost $15.

My question is, isn't this dishonest?

Especially with all the scamming and what not that occurs, shipping issues as of late, etc... Am I the only one who has a problem with this?

Do I leave feedback indicating what happened so others who may be wary of this type of thing know?

He was reasonable paid promptly and communicated regularly, just seemed to skip some details a buyer might want to know is all and it sketched me out.

Thanks!

as a courtesy, he probably should have let you know he was international due to the higher fees.

as for the forwarding address, as long as that's the paypal confirmed address, it wouldn't be an issue. in fact, i'd probably welcome it. when a buyer uses a forwarding address on paypal or ebay, they lose all buyer protections when the purchase is re-shipped; you don't have to worry about the buyer claiming the item arrived broken, different from description, etc.

i've sold tons of stuff on ebay, and whenever i recognize a forwarding address, i have the buyer message me before i ship confirming that the address is a forwarding address, so i have evidence in case there is an issue. the first time i almost got burned by an international buyer, i told ebay support i had googled their address and found it was forwarding service, but they wouldn't act on it "just because i googled the address". if you ever encounter this again in the future, be sure to have the buyer admit beforehand they're using a forwarding address, and you're good to go.

are you saying that they are buying parts here on [H] and then reselling/shipping them overseas? 'cause i dont think thats cool at all and goes against what our fs/t section is for.

are you saying that they are buying parts here on [H] and then reselling/shipping them overseas? 'cause i dont think thats cool at all and goes against what our fs/t section is for.
Probably buying for personal use but from a foreign country. Many retailers/sellers won't ship internationally and for good reason. A shipping forwarder is one way to get around that.

I don't have a problem with forwarding as long as they have good heat and pay all fees. But then again I prefer not to deal with it.

Buyer should have been more upfront about it. Money was exchanged then refunded (and item was never shipped) so IIRC a transaction never happened. You did lose money due to PP refund terms. I would say a nuetral is warranted but heat says null transaction.

from heat; If no goods or money was exchanged, the "deal" is not eligible for evaluation.

I don't have a problem with forwarding as long as they have good heat and pay all fees. But then again I prefer not to deal with it.

Buyer should have been more upfront about it. Money was exchanged then refunded (and item was never shipped) so IIRC a transaction never happened. You did lose money due to PP refund terms. I would say a nuetral is warranted but heat says null transaction.
Money was exchanged. The op is out $15 because of the deal. It qualifies.

Is there a reason why there was higher fee's than expected? If the agreed was Net to you, I would of communicated the extra cost to the buyer (even if they are international). I wasn't aware that Paypal would charge more based on the address unless you were using their built in USPS service. But if net was agreed upon, then it's reasonable to expect you can talk to the buyer to see if they ok it, and if they do you aren't out of pocket.

I've done a bit of selling on H and I'll admit I guesstimate the shipping and fee's math friendly towards my buyers. So most of any invoices that are incorrect are more a failure between my chair and pc over a dishonest seller. I don't get a dishonest vibe from what you wrote from the buyer, in actuality concerning the sale I find that if you had that record of correspondence that any issues paypal would eventually be on your side (after annoying taking the money back first until proven otherwise).

It's hard to say what type of feedback to leave to be honest. Personally I would either not leave feedback or even positive feedback because if I was in your position the loss of $15 would of been my own oversigh ,but it was also the price of feeling comfortable with not going through with the transaction. Leaving a nuetral feedback is justifiable, but it leaves you also open to the buyer leaving that same nuetral or even negative feedback.

I expected 3.25%, it ended up around 4.5%.

After price was agreed buyer asked for an invoice, which I have done before, but it was a long time ago. I got my payment, was about $5 less than I calculated, messaged him on that and more so because of what came up at the address on google. He was totally ok with a refund, but I got dinged which stinks because I was trying to help others out. But it is what it is. I kind of want people to know because he's not up front with it. I probably shouldn't have been concerned as stated above, but who knows anymore.

Anyways, its only $15 and i'll know for next time to ask for more once an invoice is brought up. I bet its required for customs or for this company to ship it to him, or both.

I got to tell you the PP garbage with keeping the fees if you refund is 100% BS IMO. I had the same thing happen a while back it's why I hate using PP for Goods and Services. The flip side is I believe after talking to PP that you just keep the money until he files a claim for a refund and then I think through that process you explain that you didn't authorize the transaction and they will refund him and not charge you the fees. What happens is once you come to an agreement any dummy with a PP account can just randomly send you a payment for the wrong amount and you get dinged if you refund, but if you call them and tell them that it's not an authorized payment they will fix it on their end. At that point it wasn't authorized so that is the work around. Also stop sending invoices people who request invoices on a forum shouldn't be on the forums. These are casual transactions between enthusiasts not retail transactions. Heat is a community not a brick and mortar.

I got to tell you the PP garbage with keeping the fees if you refund is 100% BS IMO. I had the same thing happen a while back it's why I hate using PP for Goods and Services. The flip side is I believe after talking to PP that you just keep the money until he files a claim for a refund and then I think through that process you explain that you didn't authorize the transaction and they will refund him and not charge you the fees. What happens is once you come to an agreement any dummy with a PP account can just randomly send you a payment for the wrong amount and you get dinged if you refund, but if you call them and tell them that it's not an authorized payment they will fix it on their end. At that point it wasn't authorized so that is the work around. Also stop sending invoices people who request invoices on a forum shouldn't be on the forums. These are casual transactions between enthusiasts not retail transactions. Heat is a community not a brick and mortar.

Sorry, If you can't do a paypal invoice, then I generally won't waste my time buying said item. I also offer/provide an invoice unless a person doesn't want one.

I generally sell a couple items a year at the most.

Regardless of how you sell something on paypal it's considered a commercial transaction. So, I write something up. It provides me no real positives, but no real negative either.

This is extremely dishonest, in my opinion. After being burned too many times, I am staunchly opposed to sales outside of the US, so this would really rub me the wrong way.

Back