A little threadripper help

groebuck

2[H]4U
I have a 1950x and an enermax liqtech 360 which I can only assume has corroded as it no longer cools very well.

I am seeing very odd behavior - like when I run Cinebench the cpus all drop to half speed. I don't see the temps hitting above 69 at stock but still I see it half the cpu speed.

I ordered a Notchua cooler for it since that seems to be the best air cooler for it - but am I missing something?? Is there a speed step like setting I am missing?

Which version is it? Enermax ran into some quality issues with their early releases of the TR4 coolers and you might be eligible for a replacement.

I had the same issue, Enermax TR4 360 and its performance steadily dropped over a year of ownership. I ended up pulling it after reading about the corrosion issues.

I replaced it with a Corsair H150i Pro, which is not natively a TR4 cooler - Corsair sells an aftermarket TR4 mounting bracket. Even though the block doesn't completely cover the heatspreader, it cools better and is quieter.

I will never buy another Enermax product after their response to this issue "gee I dunno, maybe the new ones are working better" and seeing their upcoming products. They seem totally tone deaf to what people want, much less building a quality product.

I had the same issue, Enermax TR4 360 and its performance steadily dropped over a year of ownership. I ended up pulling it after reading about the corrosion issues.

I replaced it with a Corsair H150i Pro, which is not natively a TR4 cooler - Corsair sells an aftermarket TR4 mounting bracket. Even though the block doesn't completely cover the heatspreader, it cools better and is quieter.

I will never buy another Enermax product after their response to this issue "gee I dunno, maybe the new ones are working better" and seeing their upcoming products. They seem totally tone deaf to what people want, much less building a quality product.

yeah I ordered a Noctua tr4 air cooler - paid for overnight from Newegg because the webpage said it would be here Friday, only for it to be packed up and sit for a day and not go out until Friday at 5. God I hate them, will never shop there again. Got one off amazon, it comes tomorrow so I can replace it this weekend and have a working system. EFF Newegg, lying dicks.

Noctua makes good shit provided you have the room in your case. Glad you tossed that AIO out into the garbage. I love the simplicity of quality heatsinks. Plus they are cooler to look at then boring AIO's.

I went h100i platinum as I couldn't fit larger than the nh-u9s, which could keep up with my 1920x but was going full bore so a little noisy. The h100i is pretty much silent, idle s around 35C, coolant temps top out around 40C in combined cpu/gpu loads. Haven't pushed clocks yet as I'm still tuning the fan curves. I stayed away from Enermax, which sucks because I think they have the best cold plate and pump of the TR compatible AIO's, but still don't seem to have their issues fully figured out, though the TR II seems to be mostly sorted. Won't try them unless people have long term success with the updated versions.

so far been very happy with it - the aio had three fans this one has one so it is generally quieter.

I threw every TR4 Enermax AIO I had away.

This, I have 4 I unplugged sitting waiting to RMA, 2 obvious fails and 2 I sure as fuck don't trust being near my hardware. Oh, and their "new" versions are nothing different as my failed pair are 1 of each type - they just stuck a RGB cover on the same defective design.

I have no intention of using the RMA replacements but been meaning to get off my butt and send them in just on principle.

Real shame, since they are still the only AIO that was released with full TR die coverage last I checked. So basically you go with Noctua or a non-EK waterblock actually built for TR. (Don't give EK money for parts after they released that shameful version 1 and didn't recall it for full refunds)

Yeah I did have to move my video card. it was a little to tight. lol

The Noctua TR coolers have an offset screw for 3mm and 6mm adjustments which should give you enough room, unless you have the bad Asus board then you are SOL. At least you always have another x16 slot on that platform.

Back