A little LCD advice please

DoomRulz

Gawd
Everywhere I look, LCDs are coming around in a big way, and with so many options, I'm having a hard time deciding on one.

I've narrowed things down to Dell or Viewsonic. As I understand, Dell makes the best gaming LCDs, but Viewsonic gives them a run for their money (and prolly mine as well. :p ) I'm familiar with ghosting, and again, I'm told Dell & Viewsonic are two companies that make LCDs which don't really have TOO much of a problem there.

I'm eyeing Dell, but their prices are :( . The 3007 looks attractive, but again...

What could anyone suggest to me?

I'm an FPS gamer, with some RPG and RTS...if that helps.

DoomRulz said:
As I understand, Dell makes the best gaming LCDs
This statement is only true when you apply 2 more qualifiers:
Dell makes the best gaming LCDs for the price when they are on sale.

If you are looking at FPS and other fast games, response time is king, Dells are not quite sub 8ms yet, while Viewsonic and Samsung have 2ms - 4ms models out already.

DoomRulz said:
but Viewsonic gives them a run for their money (and prolly mine as well. :p ) I'm familiar with ghosting, and again, I'm told Dell & Viewsonic are two companies that make LCDs which don't really have TOO much of a problem there.
Don't forget Samsung, they are one of the largest panel makers in the world. Also, the NEC 20" widescreen should be pretty good as well, although price may be a bit high.

DoomRulz said:
I'm eyeing Dell, but their prices are :( . The 3007 looks attractive, but again...
Just wait for Dell coupons/promotions/days of deals.

Don't forget anything beyond 1920x1200 you will need a video card with dual-link DVI, so you may need a new card.

DoomRulz said:
What could anyone suggest to me?

I'm an FPS gamer, with some RPG and RTS...if that helps.
What size you are looking at? Widescreen or not? What's your budget?

Well, I thought at least a 20", preferably widescreen. I live in Canada, so LCDs are a little pricier for me :p

But I'm looking to spend about $600-$900. I'll only go over $1000 if the monitor is known to be a good one.

NEC and Viewsonic are your best choices for a gaming 20"+ LCD. Dell doesn't have very good response times.

thing is though, the viewsonic puts him over budget by about 150... my idea was to drop the coundcard till he saves enough for it and buy it at a BnM store... (best buy, whatever..)

more opinions? :D

0mega said:
thing is though, the viewsonic puts him over budget by about 150... my idea was to drop the coundcard till he saves enough for it and buy it at a BnM store... (best buy, whatever..)

more opinions? :D
Well, then the NEC is out. Without reading his other thread I don't know his budget. The brief mention of the 3007 led me to think he has a large budget... :rolleyes:

Flying Fox said:
Well, then the NEC is out. Without reading his other thread I don't know his budget. The brief mention of the 3007 led me to think he has a large budget... :rolleyes:

lol im working on a max of $3000 CAD...tho I will be saving up for an LCD starting next month. I prolly wont get it till next summer, but I thought it'd be a good idea to get advice now so I know for later down the road :)

and now the HDCP debate... he wants HDCP just because... What monitors actually HAVE HDCP? besides the NEC which is the same damn panel... :LOL: and are under 400US preferrably :p Thanks from both of us :p

Getting yourself up to speed on the panel types, response times, backlight issues are ok 1 year ahead, but actual models? I don't think so. There is even a small chance that we have SEDs to play with in a year's time. So don't bother. Even the 2405FPW gets an update after the success it has enjoyed.

Besides, if you are set on a Dell, you are controlled by when they have deals/promotions anyway.

Back