A little help please

_PixelNinja

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I am wondering if anybody would be able to provide assistance with a problem I am having.

Ever since trying out the Nvidia 306.02 beta drivers I am encountering crashes and lockups when playing games. While I cannot say the drivers are responsible for the issues, their occurrence does coincide with the installation of the beta drivers.

What can happen:
– Open GL drivers crashing (RAGE, Awesomenauts);
– Computer locking up with no response (RAGE, Need for Speed: Shift, Deus Ex Human Revolution);
– Computer locking during logo publicity followed by a CTD with a 'This program has stopped working' prompt (Saints Row 3);
– Screen going black with the monitor message 'No Signal' (Left 4 Dead 2);
– Driver kernel crash message upon Windows boot (only happened once).

Occasionally when I reset the computer after the L4D2 phenomenon, the fan on my GPU will accelerate to full speed for a couple of seconds before or during the Windows loading screen and the computer will reboot. I am still going though some of my games to see what other problems happen.

What I have tried:
– Re-installing the 301.42 WHQL drivers with 'Perform a clean installation' option;
– Rolling back to the 296.10 WHQL drivers with 'Perform a clean installation' option;
– System restore to a previous date;
– Manual driver cleaning using this method and re-installing 301.42 drivers;
– Virus and Malware scan.

At this point I do not know what is causing this. Also, I would like to avoid a re-installation of Windows 7 as I cannot backup my games and transfer them at this present time. Not to mention that this is a fresh re-install that I did last month.

I do not have any overclocking done on either CPU or GPU nor am I running any custom programs (Afterburner etc.) The system is the one in my signature running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Is it possible that there is a hardware problem with the video card? Do you have another computer you could try it in? It might just be coincidental that you started having problems after installing the beta drivers.

A hardware issue occurring in coincidence with the installation of the beta drivers is indeed a possibility, but I do not know how to verify this. I cannot see anything unusual in GPU-Z and I do not have another desktop at hand to try the card in...

May be a bit extreme, but a Win 8 VM to try a bench marking program in?

For the sake of it I rolled back to the 296.10 drivers. The problems remain, however, I ran the Unigine Heaven DX11 benchmark out of curiosity to see if anything would happen in there but everything went fine for the 20 minutes that I ran the program.

Hmmm, are any of the other games that experience the problem running in DX11 mode, or just DX 10?

Games that I've tried so far that are DX11 and crash are Saints Row the Third and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Games that I've tried so far that are DX11 and crash are Saints Row the Third and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Try uninstalling one of the trouble games, reinstalling DX and then installing the game again.

I know it's a PITA, but it's weird that Heaven didn't crash.

The issue is all of the games I play crash or lock up my system. Also, as far as I know you cannot remove Direct X; only install the latest components. Regardless, I have removed and am now re-installing Saints Row the Third to see what happens.

EDIT: This did not give any results.

Last edited:
The issue is all of the games I play crash or lock up my system. Also, as far as I know you cannot remove Direct X; only install the latest components. Regardless, I have removed and am now re-installing Saints Row the Third to see what happens.

EDIT: This did not give any results.

Easiest thing to do now would be to try the card in another system, but I believe you've said that option isn't possible.

So the only thing that I can recommend, would be to try a Windows 8 VM.

I opened my case to verify there isn't anything wrong with the internals (PCI power cables properly plugged, card seated properly etc.) I did not notice anything in particular. However, I ran a few games with the hood off and for some unknown reason the system is not crashing anymore. I really do not understand what is going on. I have not put the hood back on yet to see if the crashes come back.

Maybe it is temp related? Taking the side off may have made it cooler so it doesn't crash any more.

I would have thought so too but I ran tests prior to removing the case cover and GPU-Z has never reported anything over 85°C during heavy gameplay or running Unigine on high settings.

Back