A little help on a new project

MrE

2[H]4U
I am soliciting a couple of suggestions from the [H] crowd. I currently have an X2 4800+ running in an SG01, and I am looking to upgrading to an FX62 AM2 platform. With that in mind, I've narrowed my motherboard choices down to

Asus M2NPV-VM nForce6150 chipset
MSI K9NGM2-FID nForce6150 chipset

All the nForce 6100 series based motherboards only come with a 10/100 embedded Nic, and I need 1000 base (house and switch is wired for it). So, the Epox and Biostar are out. I read the link about Abit's new beast, but my luck with Abit hasn't been so warm an fuzzy. I still may yet be tempted to wait for its release if it happens within the next couple of weeks. Also, the minimum memory capacity must be 4Gb, but I am leaning towards 8Gb memory support, though I think its overkill. I'd like your thoughts on the matter.

Which brings me to my second problem. I am using the Silverstone SST-NT06 Passive cooler in my SG01, and would like to continue to do so for the AM2. Is this possible? What changed on the retention mechanism that I sould be aware of? If this doesn't work, what are my options that will fit nicely in the SG01?

Thanks for your inputs!

-E

Slow down, slow down. Too much input.:confused:

Sure is quiet on the SFF forums as of late?

-E

I'd feel more comfortable with the Gigabyte board. Thanks for the link on it.

as for the AM2 latch, can anyone speak as to my NT06 working with AM2?

-E

The bigger question is why in the heck are you upgrading a 4800+ to an FX-62? Seems like a HUGE waste of money for not that much of a gain. If you wanted the bleeding edge why would you not be getting a C2D E6700 or X6800?

[LYL]Homer said:
The bigger question is why in the heck are you upgrading a 4800+ to an FX-62? Seems like a HUGE waste of money for not that much of a gain. If you wanted the bleeding edge why would you not be getting a C2D E6700 or X6800?
Simple. The FX processor was given to me. It gives me the opportunity to upgrade to the AM2/DDR2 platform with very minimal cost associated with it. My choice isn't mearly about performace so much as an excuse to change out memory types. If I wanted to go hardcore about it, then yes, I'd go with an X6800 Extreme.

-E

The NT06 is great...not sure what is up with the bracket though...you do need a new one though. Email silverstone and they should get back to you about that...if not PM me and I'll ask my contact.

As for the board...the MSI's aren't big overclockers by I like them :) The ASUS is said to be the best though....I can't back this up

Thanks Steeeeve. I sent off a request to Silverstone to see if its at all possible to replace the two screw retention mechanism for the newer AM2 four screw setup.

I keep leaning towards the Asus, but I've heard that there isn't an HTT setup in the BIOS?
No worries, not like I'm really going to overclock this CPU. I'd rather go for stability than overclock any day.

-E

I heard some of the MSIs have issues with one of the PCI slots (I think Newegg has reviews that say this too)....something to do with it being blocked.

Asus is one of most peoples favorites. the last few boards i have owned have ben Msi though,and i have had good luck with them. either way you go should be a great board,enjoy.

Wow, an FX-62 was given to you? That, of course, changes the entire economics!

Who does one have to sleep with? :D

Ive got the Gigabyte M51GM-S2G in my sugo and its rock solid, pretty much no overclock options tho.
If i was building now id go for the new ABIT board :)

[LYL]Homer said:
Wow, an FX-62 was given to you? That, of course, changes the entire economics!

Who does one have to sleep with? :D
It's good to have friends that work at certain companies. :)

I forgot about the Gigabyte board. Rock solid stable? That's pretty much what I'm after, though thats the only bummer about this upgrade. The eVGA board I am currently using is rock solid as well. I Wish they'd release an AM2 version. Thanks for the suggestion.

-E

Well, I ordered the Asus board which arrived today but I am back to not having an AM2 heatsink. Silverstone never replied to my request for a bracket update on the NT06, so I have to ask: In the SG01, what AM2 heatsinks do people recommend?

I am heading off to the store tomorrow in search, but would really like feedback. I hate the idea of using a heatsink/fan combo again, but I will make do.

-E

Back