A little Duel Boot Help Please...

MiPilot

n00b
OK

I had a 320 gig drive with xp installed on it. I later Installed a second 500 gig drive and installed Vista Ultimate 64

It worked great in duel boot until I thought I would be bright and physically remove the drive with xp. Now no boot at all. I reinstalled the xp drive and still no boot.

I then booted from the vista cd and tried to do a recovery...no luck The drives are recognized at boot but not when I boot from the cd.

Is there a fix without having to reinstall vista. I do not care about the data on the 320 drive but would like to keep everything on the 500 drive.

Thanks

Ok I figured out that when I removed the xp drive somehow my bios changed my boot drive to the 500 gig. I changed the 320 to the first priority and it booted.

Now, How do I remove the 320 from my system?

Thanks

You'll have to remove the 320 GB drive, change your boot options to use the 500 GB drive, and run Vista's boot repair tool from the Vista DVD, unless you have an OEM version.

Thanks for the reply....I thought that is what I would have to do but I do have the OEM Version

I am not with my disc right now.....I take it that it does not include the utility?

MiPilot

Thanks for the reply....I thought that is what I would have to do but I do have the OEM Version

I am not with my disc right now.....I take it that it does not include the utility?

MiPilot

With the 320 GB drive still in, you can use software like easyBCD (see http://neosmart.net/software.php) to move the bootloader to your 500 GB drive.

Also - I'm not sure how universal it is, but I do have the repair options with my OEM Vista disks...so don't rule that out yet.

Back