A little advice...? Intel Stock HSFs

starhawk

[H]F Junkie
Just building my first close-to-modern system (well, it's modern for me ;) skt1156)...

I have two chips I can use, and two coolers.

One chip is an i3-530, currently in the system.
The other is an i5-750.

One cooler is the stock for the i3-530 and is currently in the system.

The other cooler is the one I have a question about. The cooler is another Intel stock cooler (I have no other compatible coolers at this time AFAIK) and is marked as a model "D34223-002". It's for skt775. TBH I've been stealing pushpins from it for the other cooler, but I can always move them back -- I know how to do that ;)

I got it with a computer someone local (not on this forum) asked my help with. The system was royally f*cked (I've never seen that many busted caps in one place -- seriously, like seven caps, all on the graphics card for some reason...) and I suspect that this HSF is probably the lone electronic survivor of that system (the case also lived but has been given away).

All Google (and the websites it lists) will tell me about that cooler is that it supports "Pentium 4 CPUs up to 3.4GHz". I can't find a maximum TDP anywhere...

Could I use this HSF (the D34223-002) on the i5-750, safely, given that the i5 has a TDP of 95w? (Please keep in mind that I do not have any funds right now for purchasing another cooler.)

both i3 530 and i5 750 use the same stock cooler, in that generation only the i7 used a different cooler that was just a bit taller than i3 or i5... and both will just work fine, you will have to keep an eye into the temps constantly cuz they are really crappy...

and yup, you can use any socket 775 cooler into socket 115X cooler.. remember some oldie 775 stock coolers used backplate, those work just fine with 115X. if the cooler are push pin and rotate system. you remove the push pin and change it for 20mm screws bolt and washers.. that work perfectly. and generally those oldie 775 coolers are much better than this new coolers.. =D.

The i3 stock cooler I have is rated for 73w TDP chips. That's pretty much only the i3-530. The i5-750 has a TDP of 95w and I really don't see the i3 stock cooler keeping up with that.

Do you know what size screws (M3,M4,etc) are needed for a 775 backplate? I have one I can use...

...actually, just remembered something. I have a whole pile of HP/Compaq heatsinks thanks to a local tech shop that couldn't use them.

The one that I tripped over earlier today looks a little like this...
http://s10.postimg.org/n66pl9xs9/KGr_Hq_NHJFIFG_Hh_Z_f_VBR3_HFGpld_60_3.jpg

...although it is in desperate need of a bath ;) I'll take pictures of mine when I can get upstairs and grab it without waking a napping mother... I also have a 775 backplate and the two do fit together. The question of course is "will it work?" Wire colors are black red yellow blue (in that order) on the 4pin connector.

The i3 stock cooler I have is rated for 73w TDP chips. That's pretty much only the i3-530. The i5-750 has a TDP of 95w and I really don't see the i3 stock cooler keeping up with that.

Do you know what size screws (M3,M4,etc) are needed for a 775 backplate? I have one I can use...

well you can imagine how crappy are those coolers, in a i3 or i5.. i reafirm they are the same model for both CPUs. thats why i7 comes with a bit taller cooler with Copper Core.. and not aluminium core like i3-i5.

the size for of the screws are M3.

The one that I tripped over earlier today looks a little like this...
http://s10.postimg.org/n66pl9xs9/KGr_Hq_NHJFIFG_Hh_Z_f_VBR3_HFGpld_60_3.jpg

...although it is in desperate need of a bath ;) I'll take pictures of mine when I can get upstairs and grab it without waking a napping mother... I also have a 775 backplate and the two do fit together. The question of course is "will it work?" Wire colors are black red yellow blue (in that order) on the 4pin connector.

if the core of that cooler if copper then would be a good choise if you can put in.. it surely will work, the order of 4 pins fans are a standard i really hard believe why whouldn't work.. however according to the pictures the colors of the wires are correct. black its ground its the first, red its power its mid, yellow its speed monitoring its third, and fourth the blue its pulse regulator. (PWM). both 3 pin - 4 pin will be always the same, just in the case of 4 pin that show the blue wire, and in some and rarely cases, where the power wire its showed as yellow with red strips. this its to match the most PSU standard that as black ground, red 5v line and yellow 12V line. but IMO any 4pin fan should work just fine..

what are the full measures?. if the cooler its decent size (not like the stock i5-i7) it could do a better job. hell i think any cooler could do a better job than those crappy stock coolers. the best its just try it. what its the average ambient room temp in the place where that rig its used?.

90mm side to side. Fan is an 80mm -- AVC # DS08025R12U.

Right now I'm trying to figure out a good way of dealing with dustcake. I think the HS itself is getting a trip to the sink once I've got the old pigeonshit (TIM) off the bottom. Aluminum doesn't give a rat's ass about water because it's not effing made of iron. Not sure what to do about the fan tho.

Here, have some pix.
http://i.imgur.com/JXyTLdB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tU0C4F0.jpg

EDIT: Holy... that fan is rated at 64CFM :eek: <galaxyquest>that's a hell of a thing!</galaxyquest>

lol with that amount of air droping to the heatsink the aluminiun will not be a problem at all.. xD. if you wanna remove easy the old TIM use a bit of paper towel with some alcohol, that remove almost instant....

Arctic Silver Arcticlean for the pigeonshit... $6.50
A sink with plenty of cold water for the dustcake on the heatsink... $0.70 (assumed pump ran for a full minute -- we're on a well system here)
3 Great Value (brand) paper towels, wadded, to dry the heatsink... $0.05 ($6.99 IIRC for 8x 56-sheet rolls... I rounded up from ~$0.46)
Can of air to make sure the HS is dry... $3.65 ($10.95 for a 3pk)
10 Pure'n'Gentle (brand) wipes for the fan... $0.15 ($1.74 for a can of 120 wipes)

A very clean HP heatsink and fan... priceless :D

Looks better, doesn't it...?
JBfGO2B.jpg

lol much better, did you removed the heatsink shelter to a deep clean?.. it look good.. tell us your progression with that heatsink in your i5 750.

Booted up the system for the first time earlier today -- with the i3 and its stock HSF -- my spare PSU (200W dell) isn't up to snuff so it looks like I'll be fixing that before I futz with chips and HSFs... :(

oh man thats sad.. >_<..... its a quality 200W PSU?. i guess with any Generic 300-400W PSU should be plenty for a i3.

generally i do not trust to much in those Dell, HP, Compaq. PSU. they are really manufactured by crappy builders like codegen by example codegen.. im still remember that oldie compaq 7111LA with a OEM compaq PSU 400W.. rated at 250W x'D. made by "Idn'trememberreallythebuilder" ..

Well the Dell supplies I've looked at are heavy and well made AFAIK -- the only thing I don't like is that they never have the on/off rocker switch at the back of the PSU -- in the event of a problem you yank the cord instead.

Back