• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A legitimate question thread by Shambler

Shambler

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 17, 2005
Messages
6,419
I will keep this as short as possible. I have been bouncing back and forth between a Q66, E84, E72, E21.

I plan on overclocking a bit, not maxing out, keeping it air with lazy ass wire management/air management.

Current rig P4 3.4 HT, 2 gig DDR 400, FX 5200 (This card makes me sad, 6800 GT died and bought the 5200 to hold me over)

How much of a difference will I notice with a E21xx/4850/DDR2 800 build?

Enough to not buy a E72/Q66 and wait for Nehalem? I am thinking YES, especially since I can easily upgrade to a E72/84/Q66 later on.

Seriously, someone just say "Hey, buy a E21/72 NOW so you stop crying at night!" I have the parts picked, I just can't click that Place Order button... its killing me!
 
Seriously, I needed that. Keep em coming, not buying a new comp is driving me mad.
 
Hey, buy a E21/72 NOW so you stop crying at night! :D

Agreed. I bought a Q6600 upgrade from my P4 about 6 months ago, but I don't plan on going nehalem until we hit the "tock". If you want nehalem get a cheap E21/72 to hold you over. It will be a HUGE difference.
 
heh, whatever you buy now will make a HUGE difference. Even when I upgraded from a 7600GT to my 8800GT it was huge! That said I would go with a E8400 and ATI 4850 if you are into gaming, or Q6600 if you do video encoding or that sort of thing.

I say E8400 because my cousin just recently bought a E2200 with a GA-EP35-DS3L and he cannot get anything above 3.2GHz. Very disappointing considering my old OLD E4300 could do 3.4GHz and that was a pretty lame chip I had.
 
The E2**0 are a B to overclock over 3.0. It can be done, but you hit FSB walls pretty quickly. Got my E8400 to 3.6 on stock voltage, and 3.8 with a minor bump.

Anyway, buy the E84/E72 and be done with it.

 
If you're one to use your PCs for four or five years (your P4 is probably that old), get something quad-core. You'll thank me in a few years, and all the kids telling you to get dual-cores now will have bought octal-cores by then and will be telling people how nobody will EVER need 16-core CPUs :D :p
 
Back
Top