A joke from Stanford?

devkinetic

Weaksauce
I thought this was funny, I caught it this morning running on my drupal staging server.

6ky.png

All for the [H]orde I guess :D

naww, you can thank gromacs for these tidbits. This is one of the new 6318's I commented about in CraftyOtters recent thread about a similar issue. psummary for this WU has some malformed data fields causing these glitches to appear in 3rd party monitoring clients. I've already informed the developer. It is funny though. :cool:

Well it is quite funny, personally i'd fold just to see what funny name is next :) Malformed data FTW.

There have been quite a few in recent similar WUs:

[22:39:12] Working on GROwing Monsters And Cloning Shrimps
[01:32:43] Working on Giving Russians Opium May Alter Current Situation
[01:54:53] Working on GRoups of Organic Molecules in ACtion for Science
[09:18:02] Working on Great Red Owns Many ACres of Sand

:D

Man I want "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" WU's, when are those coming I wonder? :D
[pardon my designer/type humor] :)

Wow, I feel dumb not catching that now :/

EDIT: I mean, I knew that all along.... yeah

at least im not the only one, I feel better now

If I told you that I "got it" the first time...
would you believe me?

I never lie here amongst my friends. Really.

If I told you that I "got it" the first time...
would you believe me?

I never lie here amongst my friends. Really.

see thats a lie right there.. :p

lol jk.. had to say it though..

im guessing this shits only on the SMP work units?

Latest news from my GPU:
[00:35:13] Working on Gromacs Runs One Microsecond At Cannonball Speeds

Surpised not everyone caught it said GROMACS, the caps popped out instantly to me. This is actually pretty funny and sweet at the same time.

I noticed another one when I grabbed a new client this afternoon: EDIT: I see that Tobit already had this one listed...man, I'm always late to the party! :rolleyes:

Russians.png

The Stanford network was down recently for 12+ hours resulting in no available work for CPU and SMP clients. No status updates from PG at all during the outage other than "we needed to reset some things". People are freaking out all over the place that they can't get work. How does a "reset" take down most of the server infrastructure for 12+ hours?

Databases are too large requiring statistics to be removed from stat pages. All we hear from PG for months is "we have new servers on the way". How about purging useless data points like the number of active/inactive CPUs to reduce statistic update time? Let's throw hardware at the problem instead. Same thing with the clients. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the CPU client will require a i7 and lots of memory to run a single WU efficiently.

GPU3 still won't run ATI cards at their fullest. PG feels the need to defend themselves publicly due to statements made by ATI in the FF. It looks to me like PG and ATI are not working effectively together which might explain alot of things.

SMP2 is still not released. It's been a month now since this was originally announced.

Now we get jokes for WU names ... I would feel better folding WUs with valid names to make it seem like what we're doing really means something.

Folding is serious business ... evidently PG doesn't feel the same way.

Sorry, these joke WU names are being discussed on several forums and it's starting to rub me the wrong way.

Last edited:
ArgFan

I definitely see where your coming from, but IMHO this makes me enjoy folding that much more. One of those "funny geek things".

I can't speak for PG's development as I don't actively follow it but I do think you have an idea there of either pruning those old users OR moving them elsewhere when they are processed less intensively until they become active again at which point they would move back.

I don't honesty think its taking much time for someone to name these projects, and it sends a reminder that they to are human and need an outlet. If giving work units funny names helps them develop better in the long run i'm all for it, and will eagerly look to see what i'm processing next :D

From what little I know, it seems that stanford needs more resources (more developers and more servers) in order to make faster progress. Personally if I were them, I would open source the project (or is it allready... shows what I know)

Anyways, opinion respected and I'll fold no matter what they give me. If they send me a work unit that processes the perfect cup of coffee that will help them perform better, i'll fold it. Just give me the recipe too.

I don think they can open source it. In order for It to pass peer review it would need to able to survive scrutiny. Right now PG has a reason for every line of code, every line is explained somewhere. You go open and people will add their own code, and while it may be faster or better, PG doesn't have an explanation and the resulting science behind every line

I mean wasn't the first few years of folding nothing more than just proving the code against already known theorys? They had to prove their code worked before people would consider the findings legit
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

The developers who code WUs have little to do with the database and servers so one can't blame them for adding easter eggs like these.

ArgFan - Vijay and Co. are bringing the new servers online as they can. However, it isn't just hardware involved here. They are completely re-writing the code that exists on the servers as well. None of this can be fixed overnight sadly.

One needs to remember that this is a college project, not a commercial endeavor. They have some financial backing but it isn't as big as some people think. Additionally, Vijay has classes to teach and most of the other developers, with the exception of J. Coffland who is writing the new server code, are students and graduate students.

For as big as F@H is, I think they do a pretty damn good job and things are definitely better today than they used to be a year ago today. I wish I could comment on some of the stuff I am beta testing but I can't. You all will just have to trust me when I say some nice things are coming. :)

I wish I could comment on some of the stuff I am beta testing but I can't. You all will just have to trust me when I say some nice things are coming. :)

I'm not even worried that they will be decent updates, but can we get an idea of the time frame they will be coming in? That's all that I would like to know...;)

The developers who code WUs have little to do with the database and servers so one can't blame them for adding easter eggs like these.

ArgFan - Vijay and Co. are bringing the new servers online as they can. However, it isn't just hardware involved here. They are completely re-writing the code that exists on the servers as well. None of this can be fixed overnight sadly.

The servers have been a issue since I started with FAH over two years ago. It gets a bit annoying to keep hearing the same thing over and over. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

One needs to remember that this is a college project, not a commercial endeavor. They have some financial backing but it isn't as big as some people think. Additionally, Vijay has classes to teach and most of the other developers, with the exception of J. Coffland who is writing the new server code, are students and graduate students.

I thought I read somewhere the science was primarily handled by Pande Group and all software development and infrastructure support had been outsourced to a outside consulting firm. They definitely need more people if J. Coffland (Caldron Development) is the only person from the outside. Their relationship with ATI appears to need a bit of shoring up as well.

For as big as F@H is, I think they do a pretty damn good job and things are definitely better today than they used to be a year ago today.

I agree. My post was just a way to say "let's stop talking about the joke WU names and get back to folding". Let's see what the future holds with the new hardware and updated clients.

I wish I could comment on some of the stuff I am beta testing but I can't. You all will just have to trust me when I say some nice things are coming. :)

Can you give at least a ballpark idea on when SMP2 will be ready? I recently received a PM from 'bruce' on FF stating there were problems still to be worked out.

I promise not to tell anybody ;)

Last edited:
Evidently, many Russians are pissed off. Quoted from a post on FF:

Hallo from TSC! Russia.
Recently some guys from our team received WU's and seen something like: "Working on Giving Russians Opium May Alter Current Situation" in the log.
Of course this is joke, but there are some people who are really annoyed and disappointed by this - even to the point of stopping runnin F@H at all... While personally I don't see it as a kind of abuse or humiliation, I'd really appreciate you remove this sentence from GROMACS core henceforth.
Hope for the answer.

Hil,
TSC! Russia team captain.

and, no.. sorry, I can't ballpark on when SMP2 will be ready. However, I can say it will be ready before GPU3. :rolleyes:

I'm part Russian and had a laugh from it. One of my aunts had some sort of mysterious plant growing outside her house which got destroyed by the local law enforcement folks. Any guess what it was? Hint: read the message again.

and now a reply from a GROMACS author:

Hi Ru_Hil,

Erik (GROMACS author) here. First let me apologize if the phrase offended anybody; I was a bit surprised at first, but I now realize this might have looked really strange if (1) it was coming from the US (historical reasons), and (2) the random number generator might have had an issue so we always picked the same quote as some sort of "motto" in the log file. Sorry about that; it is entirely my fault and not F@H's, so please forward this to your group too.

The sentence was one of ~400 "GROMACS" acronyms and quotes people have come up with over the last 15 years, and not all of them are amazingly great (this one is at least 10+ years old). The reason for having them is simply that our students and postdocs frequently put in 12h days and occasional weekends of hard coding and research work, and then the occasional smile in the middle of their very serious work can be surprisingly helpful.

A fair number of the quotes are also less intelligent things they've heard me say over the years... For the record, my group is in Sweden, so this was originally friendly teasing with a neighbor, nothing else. However, to avoid misunderstood we'll try to change the "R" to something different in future releases.

All the best,

Erik

Back