A hello, and some questions.

Timmee

Weaksauce
Hello all. First time poster here, with aspirations of doing some computer modding. I'm currently looking to build a new computer, and was looking for a cheap case/psu combo. I was wondering what everyone thinks of this: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-145-040&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE. This would be my first case mod, so I want to start out with something inexpensive (in case I screw up). I'll be looking to water cool it, add lighting, paint it, sleeve the psu wires, and possible add some other things to it (I like the cut mobo tray and right side window on OptPrime's project).

If this case isn't something you'd recommend, I'd be open to any suggestions for alternatives.

That has to be the shitties case I have ever seen.

My advice stay away from plastic and get a LL or CM and take your time.

I'm going to agree with sdk on this one, and say that I am not too fond of that case in it's current form. It's cheap, and you get what you pay for. Of course, if you think you could do something awesome with this, plan it out, and go for it. My personal recommendation would to spend a more money and get a Lian Li or Coolermaster suggested by sdk, or maybe a Silverstone Technologies or Antec style case. They all have a lot of modding potentials, and will also look great even if you don't mod them.

sdk said:
That has to be the shitties case I have ever seen.

My advice stay away from plastic and get a LL or CM and take your time.

I dunno if he likes it and depends on wht he wants to do with it, it has some potential(sp?) It look like a different case unlike the LL which all looks the same no matter how one mods it.

Looks like I'm the first one to think of this... which is a surprise around here.

You're getting a case/PSU combo for $33? That's really cheap...and you'll get what you pay for. My advice, you REALLY don't want to be running your brand new system on one of the cheapest power supplies out there. The power supply is just as important as all the other parts in the computer, and you need QUALITY.

The first thing you need to do is go check out this link . It's a great explanation of why you don't want to get a Powmax PSU, along with many other brands that aren't quite good.

If there's any confusion, read up in the Power Supply forum over here

Now as far as the case goes... I agree that it's cheap and I wouldn't buy it. But, if it's what you want, go for it. Personally, I'd suggest a good CoolerMaster, Lian-Li, or Silverstone case. And if you're the kind of guy that loves working in the computer, get one with a removable motherboard tray. It's practically a must!

As far as the modding goes, it's really not that hard. All it takes it two things: The ability to read, and patience. Through the internet you can learn how to become a highly skilled modder, provided you give yourself enough time to do it. I'm an inexperienced modder but have no fear when cutting into a new case because of everything I've learned about case modding.

Good luck! Come back and ask questions whenever you need to!

Alright, thanks for the info and advice. With the help of your recommendations, and with the link to the psu guide, I've decided to go with a SILVERSTONE Berserker Black ATX Mid-Tower Case and a Sparkle Power 530W Power Supply.

That's a much better choice. The best thing to do is get a plain case and go crazy. If you start with a premod, you eventually run into problems. Plus, it's a waste of money to pay for premod features (windows and such) that you're going to ditch anyway.

Just come to us before you cut into your case. You'll want all the tips you can get before cutting up a Silverstone :D

Haha, awesome. Good choice. Remember, it's a nice case so measure twice cut once doesn't work. With that nice of a case, we're talkin' measure 4 times and cut once. You can never be too careful.

great choice compared to the first powmax thing. I think you will be able to do some thing original looking here. Should be fun. As for the backside window and whatnot let me know if you have any questions. you can pm me ne time. :D
Mod on and welcome to the addiciton.

Back