A Head Scratcher

shaggy77

Gawd
Hi,

I got a bit of a head scratcher. My rig in the sig seems to be acting up on me. I have a Gigabyte P35 based board. Right now it is clocked at 333 X 9 for a 3.0 GHz overclock. It is running on 1.18 volts which is also really nice. So I was playing with multipliers and low and behold I get a funky problem on a 400 X 8 set up. Yes I did up the voltage. I can prime stable with a bit of extra volts around 1.27 volts.

Now here is the funky problem. When I put my computer to sleep, there is no problem. It shuts down. When it is time to wake up, the computer fails to wake up. I have to power off to get a restart. However at a 333 X 8 set up, no problem. 400 X 8, problem. I have tried MCH and FSB voltage adjustments. EIST and C1E are disabled. As far as I can tell my BIOS is set up properly.

Right now I am back at 333 Mhz by 9. I am wondering if there was a problem with P35 based boards and lower multipliers. Anyone have a thought on this? Also on a slightly less related question, will going to a P45 based board be the answer?

Thanks!

I don't know if its related to your problem or not but I had a Gigabyte P35-DS3L that hated running at 400mhz FSB. Most of the time it would double boot and reset the BIOS back to default and then I would have to restore my OC settings over and over till it would finally boot with them. The first month or so that I had the board it would run decently at 400 X 8 (couldn't hit 3.6ghz and still be stable).

Eventually it just wouldn't boot at all with any OC settings so I ended up taking the board out, smashing it with my foot repeatedly (no lie), and replacing it with an Abit IP35-E and its been smooth sailing ever since. I never found out the solution to why my board was going wacky but I just assumed the lack of PWM cooling eventually took its toll.

I know there are lots of people who love their Gigabyte P35 series motherboards but I had such a headache with mine that I probably won't be buying Gigabyte brand anything for a long, long time.

Hi,

KamelRed... Interesting. When I had an E6420, it was no problem at 400 Mhz. However the Q6600 just does not like to work with the board it seems. I was thinking about an Asus board with P35 chipset to see if there is any change. Anyways, I will let the next person take a shot at a possible answer.

Thanks for your input.

I don't have the answer. But I have the same problem with my asus P45 board.
I finally disabled the sleep mode, and no further problems.:confused:

Back