A good weekend on the musky farm

musky

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2012
The dust is starting to settle from all the activity around here over the weekend. No new machines were added. Every existing machine was tampered with somehow. The results have been awesome.

+9K ppd - I7 970 going from Windows to Ubuntu Desktop with the BFS patch
+11K ppd - Dual X5550 box going from Windows to Ubuntu Server with the BFS patch
+24K ppd - Dual hex SR-2 #1 going from Windows to Ubuntu Server with the BFS patch
+24K ppd - Dual hex SR-2 #2 going from Windows to Ubuntu Desktop with the BFS patch
+24K ppd - Dual hex SR-2 #3 going from Windows to Gentoo (thanks Tobit!)
+10K ppd - Dual hex SR-2 #4 overclock increase from 3.4 to 3.6 (still on Windows)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
102K ppd increase

This is with virtually 0 additional cost or electricity usage. I also have another 24K coming when I switch the last SR-2 over to Linux. Hopefully they get the Linux bigadv situation straightened out very soon. Assuming they do, my ppd should settle in at close to an 800K maximum and something over 700K actual.

Gotta love it!

:D

I do love me some free extra PPD.

Hey is the Gentoo SR2 thing easily replicated?

TOBIT! ... I say TOBIT!

funny%2520cat%2520Shrek%2520puss%27n%2520boots.jpg

Pfft, Gentoo is easy on x86 hardware. If you want to lose an entire weekend, and get absolutly nothing accomplised try it on something MIPS based, like a SGI O2 :p

Nice increases there Musky. Tobit always has been a wizard with tweaking Linux. :D

yeah I got them all to jump in the deep end...

I have just been in the linux pool so long I have gills...

tobit helped teach em to swim...

hey patriot (or tobit if you wind up reading this later), want to help me get gpu3 running under gentoo/wine later tonight? =P I'll be in IRC

hey patriot (or tobit if you wind up reading this later), want to help me get gpu3 running under gentoo/wine later tonight? =P I'll be in IRC

its not that hard... I will post a few guides before but I suppose I can get on irc... I sold off my last nvidia card this past summer so I have not done it in a bit...

yeah I got them all to jump in the deep end...

I have just been in the linux pool so long I have gills...

tobit helped teach em to swim...

i was 100% Linux back when A2s existed and I had a herd of I7 920s - Ubuntu Desktop 9.04 FTW!

What's the BFS patch do? I haven't followed the threads over the last week but I remember you posting that bigadv results were about the same on both os platforms?

What's the BFS patch do? I haven't followed the threads over the last week but I remember you posting that bigadv results were about the same on both os platforms?

BFS is an alternate scheduler to the CFS (completely fair scheduler)
thats in most modern distros...

in the current distros save a few when you fold the frame times vary wildly due to the cfs not scaling properly for many threads... its seems worse on intel ht systems... basically all the cores will not be loaded while folding... bfs fixes that...

BFS is an alternate scheduler to the CFS (completely fair scheduler)
thats in most modern distros...

in the current distros save a few when you fold the frame times vary wildly due to the cfs not scaling properly for many threads... its seems worse on intel ht systems... basically all the cores will not be loaded while folding... bfs fixes that...

Gotcha, so linux really is a more efficient platform to fold on then.

right... I have always gotten much better tpf by a few minutes...

musky was getting sporadic tpf on his sr2 sometimes slower than windows... bfs makes it consistently much faster than windows.

Not necessarily. Apples to Oranges.

Right now we are comparing a 32 bit windows client with a 64 bit linux one, so frankly what shape the FAH client is in makes all the difference in the world, more than Win vs Linux.

Until recently the windows client outperformed the Linux one. The whoosh you hear of us all changing to Linux is merely the pendulum of life going past. :p

Not necessarily. Apples to Oranges.

Right now we are comparing a 32 bit windows client with a 64 bit linux one, so frankly what shape the FAH client is in makes all the difference in the world, more than Win vs Linux.

Until recently the windows client outperformed the Linux one. The whoosh you hear of us all changing to Linux is merely the pendulum of life going past. :p

except that running the windows client in wine on linux is still faster than windows...

musky, tried that guide you linked and one other, still doesn't work for me. client crashes after attempting to start the unit.

Back