A good sub $1k (US) dslr/dslm?

FinestRyeBread

Limp Gawd
Hi I'm looking for a sub 1kusd dslr/dslm. I haven't kept up with the camera market for a while and I was wondering what I can get for that money. I also haven't done photography in a while so something noob ish friendly would be fine. I used to do mainly scenery pictures and some video.

Are you open to getting used gear, or do you absolutely must buy new?

Canon's latest Rebel (T7i), when it hits the market, would be closest. Main thing is that Canon is revamping their sensors top to bottom, and not only are they improving dynamic range for low-ISO shadow pushers, they're including their leading video AF technology (DPAF) that makes subject tracking during video a breeze.

(other accessible models with these sensors are the EOS-M5 and M6 mirrorless cameras, the 77D, and the 80D)

Outside of Canon, Sony comes the closest in terms of video usability and stills quality with the A6x00-series.

Canon's latest Rebel (T7i), when it hits the market, would be closest. Main thing is that Canon is revamping their sensors top to bottom, and not only are they improving dynamic range for low-ISO shadow pushers, they're including their leading video AF technology (DPAF) that makes subject tracking during video a breeze.

(other accessible models with these sensors are the EOS-M5 and M6 mirrorless cameras, the 77D, and the 80D)

Outside of Canon, Sony comes the closest in terms of video usability and stills quality with the A6x00-series.
How does the T6i compare to the T7i

What Nikon specifically if I don't choose T7i?

A better question would be this: do you want/need focus tracking during video, or will you be using preset/fixed focus or manually pulling focus? If focusing manually, your camera choice will depend more on the quality of recorded video and whether said camera meets your stills needs as well.

A better question would be this: do you want/need focus tracking during video, or will you be using preset/fixed focus or manually pulling focus? If focusing manually, your camera choice will depend more on the quality of recorded video and whether said camera meets your stills needs as well.
AF for video.

That's something that most people think they want, and few actually need; good cinematography skills vacate this need most of the time. However, it does make life significantly easier.

But if that's the case, you want a Canon camera with DPAF, which means a T7i, 70D, 77D, 80D, or 7D II; and do note that the 70D and 7D II have an older 20MP version of this sensor.

And it looks like you can get T7i kits right under your budget with the kit lens, which leaves room for a second lens, if needed.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1318769-REG/canon_1894c002_eos_rebel_t7i_dslr.html

That's something that most people think they want, and few actually need; good cinematography skills vacate this need most of the time. However, it does make life significantly easier.

But if that's the case, you want a Canon camera with DPAF, which means a T7i, 70D, 77D, 80D, or 7D II; and do note that the 70D and 7D II have an older 20MP version of this sensor.

And it looks like you can get T7i kits right under your budget with the kit lens, which leaves room for a second lens, if needed.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1318769-REG/canon_1894c002_eos_rebel_t7i_dslr.html
What other lense(s) are good?

All lenses are good. Your needs will determine what you go for in terms of focal length and aperture. If you don't already have a good handle on exposure, I suggest learning that first, and perhaps picking up the 50/1.8 STM to give you a primer on faster apertures.

All lenses are good. Your needs will determine what you go for in terms of focal length and aperture. If you don't already have a good handle on exposure, I suggest learning that first, and perhaps picking up the 50/1.8 STM to give you a primer on faster apertures.
Something for up close and far away

Back