a good ikea Jerker desk alternative?

rfadream

Limp Gawd
i have a 37" westinghouse 1080 monitor and am having trouble finding a table that is deep enough.

the ikea jerker would have been perfect but is discontinued and i am having no luck finding any used on craigslist in my area.

the only table i've found while searching online is this table made by HON.
its 72" L X 36" D X 29" H

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...e=BC&topnav=national&cat=52039&b=1&lang=en-US
http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewproduct.asp?sku=HONUTM3672MLCHR
http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewproduct.asp?sku=HONUTM3672QQCHR

they all come out to about $253 with shipping and tax.

does anyone know of any better alternatives to the ikea jerker?

i have a 37" westinghouse 1080 monitor and am having trouble finding a table that is deep enough.

they all come out to about $253 with shipping and tax.

does anyone know of any better alternatives to the ikea jerker?
I've had one of those (Ikea Jerker) for about two years now...it is a fantastic computer desk.
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/31693_PE121155_S4.jpg

Have you thought of constructing one yourself? I'm sure you could do it for less than $250 if you stuck to pine or birch....but then oak would look fantastic. You could also just make the uprights out of metal (take then to a welding shop) and add a wooden desktop and shelf.

The IKEA replacement to the Jerker is the ikea Fredrik

Though it doesn't come in black like the Jerker, it is the replacement and is very similar.

no that table doesn't work for me. it specifically needs to be at least 36" deep like the jerker.
this is for my 37" monitor. anything less than 36" and i would be sitting too close and it would cause eye strain.

anyone else know of any good tables that are at least 36" deep?

I'm going to try using the Vika Amon tabletop (59"x29") with Vika Curry Legs, and a Lack wall shelf (74x10) with Vika Curry legs as a rear extension for the Westy. That will give a total depth of 39", but the heights won't match up, since the LACK shelf is thicker than the Amon tabletop. I don't think this will bother me, though. If it does, I'll file down the Curry legs, since the adjustable legs are too expensive (since I'd need 4 of them to raise the desk 5/8th of an inch).

This is my old setup:
Vika Amon (x2) + Vika Curry (x8)

I'm going to try using the Vika Amon tabletop (59"x29") with Vika Curry Legs, and a Lack wall shelf (74x10) with Vika Curry legs as a rear extension for the Westy. That will give a total depth of 39", but the heights won't match up, since the LACK shelf is thicker than the Amon tabletop. I don't think this will bother me, though. If it does, I'll file down the Curry legs, since the adjustable legs are too expensive (since I'd need 4 of them to raise the desk 5/8th of an inch).

This is my old setup:
Vika Amon (x2) + Vika Curry (x8)

The Vika Amon is a pretty nice looking tabletop. I'm using it myself. Just make sure to wipe it bit before you use it. The one I got was pretty dusty when I first bought it.

BTW, nice build log there!

I had a Jerker during college, and I can attest that it's the best damn desk!

I recently went to Ikea to look at furniture, and while I was there I took a look at the desks. They have a "make your own desk" section where you can select from a variety of tabletops and leg configurations (some of which are even height adjustable!). In my opinion you would have the best opportunity at finding the right desk for you in that department.

They have a "make your own desk" section where you can select from a variety of tabletops and leg configurations (some of which are even height adjustable!).

Yah, thats the Vika family of tabletops/legs I mentioned in my post above. ;) There are other, non-vika, tops/legs also, but they're more pricey, usually.

I'll be trying my idea this weekend.

BTW, nice build log there!

Thanks! theres only 3 right now... theres more, but I get lazy, lol. :rolleyes: I've been looking for a new case for my media center, but they're so damn expensive!

i have the Jerker, but only the bottom part. mine doesnt have tall towers. works good though.

I deeply :(regret selling my Ikea Jerker Desk!!!....With all the extra pieces!!!:mad:

it would be great if i can find the side metal bars with hole in it like the jerker, i would go ahed and build one of my own if i can find good source for it. though if i go get it i'll go with the glass all the way considering the metal bars will hold the weight of everything.

Back