A good,cheap digital camera needed

wolf2009

[H]ard|Gawd
I need a good digital camera, must be as cheap as possible.

I'm going to be taking graphic card pictures for my upcoming reviews. So it needs to have a good focus at close range. I dont know what i'm talking about, i dont know anything about cameras.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks !

I saw Best Buy adverts with Canon A520 (5Mp) and A540 (6Mp) (I think those were the numbers) refurb at $60 and $70. Decent cameras with reasonable performance. The older A5xx cameras had add-on close-up lens capability; if these new ones do as well, that can make for a reasonable extension of the built-in macro capability. If you're willing to buy a refurb, those are decent cheap cameras.

I have a casio exilim but want to buy a better photo-editing software - i have tried ebay, amazon, hitmesiter and zavvi and they are all so expensive - where can i get one second hand or cheaper imports? And any suggestions for which one i shoudl go for?

I have a casio exilim but want to buy a better photo-editing software

Adobe Photoshop Elements is a very good editor. However, there are several open-source or free software projects that offer good photo editing software. Irfanview provides some good basic capabilities and The Gimp is an Adobe clone that is quite good.

+1 for the Canon powershot series. It´s unbelievably good value and quality (I have owned a few and have quite a few friends who do as well, all very happy with their purchases), and their macro capabilities are superb. Do not buy anything with more than 8MP resolution, with these kinds of optics (small zoom lenses), it makes no sense.

I would go for this one: (...two inch macro)
http://www.buy.com/prod/canon-power...oom-iso-1600-digital/q/loc/101/206928382.html

Bought a Panasonic Lumix a few months ago, 7.2 megapixels, a decent camera for ~$150.

Bought a Panasonic Lumix a few months ago, 7.2 megapixels, a decent camera for ~$150.

The Lumix series (with the great Leica optics) would be my second choice after Canon, and my first choice for a compact if the budget was bigger. They produce much more noise riddled images than Canon though, which in comparison is almost clinically noisefree. How ever if you won´t shoot lots of dark tones, you will get an image that looks more "film like" with the Lumix. They also have decent macro, but generally won´t get as close as the Canons. I have owned a Lumix DMC LX1 for a couple of years, a great camera, but not real cheap.

The Lumix series... also have decent macro, but generally won´t get as close as the Canons. I have owned a Lumix DMC LX1 for a couple of years, a great camera, but not real cheap.

According to this thread noted above, the lumix has superior macro capabilities.

I recommended the fuji because a customer who was a professional photographer with a nikon D200 on his back recommended it.

and circuit shitty is never helpful when i went in there. bby ftw :D

I recommended the fuji because a customer who was a professional photographer with a nikon D200 on his back recommended it.

and circuit shitty is never helpful when i went in there. bby ftw :D

Which Fuji? Not all cameras are superior to others. Their F31fd is excellent. The other point and shoots? Not so much.

What cameras do hardware websites use to photograph the cards, and what kind of lighting and setup do they use ?

Who knows? - they could use almost anything.

It's likely that most retail web sites simply use the photos they get from the manufacturers.

What cameras do hardware websites use to photograph the cards, and what kind of lighting and setup do they use ?

A few review websites I know of use a digital SLR... but you don't necessarily need that.

I have a Canon XTi 400D and I also have a Canon A720 IS. The A720 can often take as good a macro shot as the 400D in the right lighting. I got the A720 for around $160 and it takes awesome pics, the macro capability on this camera is why I bought it.
Also the S5 IS and S3 IS are good cameras with excellent macro.

I agree with what persisting1 posted 100%

Back