A Global Collaboration to Create “Artificial Organisms” Just Went Live

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Mindfire, a new foundation with the goal of “decoding the mind” to help develop true artificial intelligence (AI) launched November 17th in Zurich, Switzerland. According to Futurism, Mindfire is going to bring together some of the best minds in the world and attempt to build a machine with human-level intelligence that is conscious and able to do everything humans are capable of. I'll believe they're on to something when I hear something like, "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that". However, the approach they're taking sounds interesting and maybe it will work.

The next steps for Mindfire will be to prepare for its “Mission-1,” which is slated for May of 2018 in Davos, Switzerland. “During this time attending scientists will work together across disciplines to decode the brain and apply that knowledge to the development of Artificial Organisms (AO),” a press release explained.

What could possibly go wrong?

I get it, but nobody ever talks about the flip-side. We have annihilation of the human race on one side, and countless and possibly unimagined benefits on the other side.

I, for one, can't wait to have my brain uploaded to the cloud to live on forever.

They will fail. The human brain is much more complex than they imagine. Read "The Emperor's New Mind" by Roger Penrose to get an idea of what they are up against.

I get it, but nobody ever talks about the flip-side. We have annihilation of the human race on one side, and countless and possibly unimagined benefits on the other side.

I, for one, can't wait to have my brain uploaded to the cloud to live on forever.

Read some old John Varley stories.

Back