• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

A folding lappy memory divider question...

Imitation

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
2,536
I just upgraded my dell 5100 from 256 to 512. It had pc2100 in before that ran a 1:1 ratio. The new ram was basically free and is pc2700 out of a dead 5150. Now cpu-z tells me that its running at 166mgz on a 4:5 ratio! The worst problem is that its a dell and has zero bios options for changing that sort of thing. Now who thinks it would be faster to run 4:5 with more bandwidth or 1:1 with less bandwidth. I'm leaning toward 1:1 being faster, anyone have a tool to set it to 1:1 in windows?

 
Do you mean 5:4? In any case, my guess is it'll be faster running with 512 mb, regardless of speed.

 
unhappy_mage said:
Do you mean 5:4? In any case, my guess is it'll be faster running with 512 mb, regardless of speed.


Well yeah I'm definitely sticking with the 512 regardless. The cpu is running 133mhz while the ram is running 166. So it really is running 4:5 instead of 5:4. I double checked cpu-z this morning.
 
Well, in any case, if it's a P4, more bandwidth is better. I wouldn't worry about it, since it will make a minimal difference anyways though.
 
Back
Top