• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

A few subwoofer cable questions

macrospect

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Nov 22, 2004
Messages
1,711
I am seeking a new cable for the subwoofer, that is used in conjunction with my home theater set. The sub itself is 4 feet from the reciever. I was wondering why all cables (specifically made my Belkin, and Moster Cable) are all 15+ feet? Is the sub suppposed to be located far away from the television?

Also, do any of you audiophile's know if there is any differences between Video RCA cable, and subwoofer cable?

Thanks!
 
DaRkF0g said:
I am seeking a new cable for the subwoofer, that is used in conjunction with my home theater set. The sub itself is 4 feet from the reciever. I was wondering why all cables (specifically made my Belkin, and Moster Cable) are all 15+ feet? Is the sub suppposed to be located far away from the television?

Also, do any of you audiophile's know if there is any differences between Video RCA cable, and subwoofer cable?

Thanks!
In general, the TV location is sub-optimal for subwoofer location. TV's are generally located in the middle of a wall, whereas subs tend to do best in corners. To get an idea of how much it matters, place the subwoofer next to wherever you sit, then play an explosion-laden scene (like the lobby scene from the Matrix) and shove your head in various places in your room, such as next to the TV and in the corner.

Video RCA cables tend to be heavier gauge when you compare cheap video cable to cheap audio cable. Quality cables are really going to be more or less the same.
 
Ok, the TV is a few feet from the corner of my room. I do know subs sound the best there- helps them echo that bass a little more.

So, would it be safe to say I could use a video RCA cable instead of a subwoofer cable (BTW, all I use are quality cables. I NEVER buy cheap ones- learned that lesson a long time ago :) )? I just dont want to have 10 feet of cable coiled up somewhere. Plus Monster Cables video RCA cables are signifigantly cheaper than their subwoofer ones are.
 
DaRkF0g said:
Ok, the TV is a few feet from the corner of my room. I do know subs sound the best there- helps them echo that bass a little more.

So, would it be safe to say I could use a video RCA cable instead of a subwoofer cable (BTW, all I use are quality cables. I NEVER buy cheap ones- learned that lesson a long time ago :) )? I just dont want to have 10 feet of cable coiled up somewhere. Plus Monster Cables video RCA cables are signifigantly cheaper than their subwoofer ones are.
I think that you will never, ever be able to tell the difference between them :)
 
Ok, thought so. Its not like I have an ultra high quality audio system :)

Thanks for the help.
 
Back
Top