A few questions on how to connect 2 computers via lan/network

Jitsu

Limp Gawd
I'm going to be building a new system.

It will have about 6 hdd's that I want to access from another computer.

I dont know if I need a network pci card or if the lan port on the motherboard will connect them for me.

I would also like to play games on this PC, so I have to use windows 7 as its operating system.

Can someone tell me about how to accomplish this?

>>> Basically an amd system that is separate from my main PC and holding a lot of data on the hdd's, where i can access it from my other pc.... and yet still play games on it

Well, best it to buy a router.

Connect both computer to the router and the router to the dsl/cable.

Now for the pc which data you want to share. Enable sharing for those folders or drives.

Now your other pc can access the content of your main pc.

Yeah, if you don't use a router or a switch,then you'd have to connect the two computers directly to each other using a crossover cable. The router will give you more flexibility.

I have a router. I'm just not sure how to go about accessing the folders.

Just right-click on the folders and select the Share option.Follow the steps and it'll give you a network path to the folder. Then go to the other computer, open up Windows Explorer and select "Map Network Drive". Enter in the path to the shared folder and mark the box to connect when the computer starts and that shared drive should show up as a Lettered drive.

Yeah, if you don't use a router or a switch,then you'd have to connect the two computers directly to each other using a crossover cable. The router will give you more flexibility.

BTW, you don't even need that if both are gigabit. gbit automatically does the crossover if necessary.

BTW, you don't even need that if both are gigabit. gbit automatically does the crossover if necessary.

actually only one needs to be gigabit unless of course you want gigabit speeds.

I used my laptop (which has gigabit) to configure a pfsense box at a job site, I just plugged directly into the 10/100 nic with my patch cable and my NIC did the job for me albeit at 10/100 speeds.

yea get a router or if u have a dsl modem they usually have more slots for ethernet

actually only one needs to be gigabit unless of course you want gigabit speeds.

I used my laptop (which has gigabit) to configure a pfsense box at a job site, I just plugged directly into the 10/100 nic with my patch cable and my NIC did the job for me albeit at 10/100 speeds.

Was this autodetect feature only on gigabit NICs or do some 10/100 nics have it as well?

Back